Missing "sustain" for notes in the SPLIT section

Reaction score
When I have the keyboard in the SPLIT mode, the keys in the designated split section (lower octaves) do not sustain with the pedal. I don't see a way to have the sustain pedal work across the entire keyboard when the keyboard is SPLIT. Seems odd that the sustain would disappear in SPLIT mode (???) and the player is stuck with no sustain for those keys. For most music, this is not what I want. I feel like I must not have the right setting for the pedal, but I have not been able to find this in the functions. Any advice is most appreciated!

Reaction score
No sustain for the left of a split is very common, for when you're playing left hand bass. For example, you would only want your sustain pedal to affect your right hand piano sounds, and not your left hand bass sound. Some keyboards don't sustain the left side of a split, some do, some give you a choice. You didn't mention, which keyboard is it that you have?

Reaction score
It is not missing, it is an intentional feature that in Split mode sustain (either via pedal or the button) sustain only operates to the right of the split.

Scott he has a DGX 660

Reaction score
Ah, DGX660. Yup, no sustain for the split voice. (It says in the manual: "The sustain function does not affect the Split Voice.")

Reaction score
Cool, thanks. This is the piano player in me, adjusting to another world and learning to do splits. Flexibility at my age isn't quite what it used to be... the Yamaha P70 digital piano I replaced with the DGX didn't have a SPLIT mode!

Reaction score
There is varying degrees of overlap between a Digital Piano, a Workstation and an Arranger keyboard.

What you will probably find is that you can Layer two or three tones on top of each other.

Then apply a Split and specify say a Mellow Strings to the left of the Split.

You can assign a Rhythm, and set up volumes of each element as well as add Fx such as Reverb and Chorus.

Once you have this all set up you save it all as a Registration, then you can simply call up said Registration whenever you want and all the keyboard is set up ready to play.

You will find plenty of video tutorials on using your DGX.

The Arranger functions on your DGX in reality are a cut down version of what would be available on a Yamaha PSR SX700, & in an SX the range of adjustments would be considerable more and it may even be that Sustain can be applied left of the Split if say a chord is played it will continue to sound until another chord is played. The Korg I had certainly had this option as I tried it but much preferred a finger held chord

Reaction score
I so much appreciate your thoughtful reply and suggestions, Biggles! What you describe sounds absolutely amazing, or should I say it WOULD sound amazing. What I realize now is that I need a coach / instructor who has experience with and understands how to use this technology to its fullest, because, a full-featured keyboard/synthesizer is computer software coupled to a device that looks like a piano, but is not a piano. Having spent a big part of my life in software development and technology enabled applications, I know that learning to use software programs benefits from the help of someone who knows them inside and out. My preference, like when I learned to play the guitar and piano, is to have someone sitting next to me, showing me what to do, and then giving me feedback when I do it, and then being a coach to help me find the best ways to channel my own talent into the instrument -- in this case - computer/instrument. In the case of the guitar, I took weekly lessons, in person, for years and it was hugely helpful, along with online tutorials and self-study. But, for me, there is simply no substitute for another human being who knows and cares because then there is also a relationship that develops and and understanding of how I can make best use of an instrument. I have been unable to find anyone yet who offers this type of instruction for my Yamaha DGX, but will keep looking! Maybe this forum would be a way to find someone close enough to me to make it happen! Meanwhile, I am very grateful for finding this forum and having so many really interested caring keyboard players to "sort of" get to know! You mentioned video tutorials -- could you suggest some that you think are particularly good for me to study?

Reaction score
I suggest that first you seek out the Yamaha Global channel that they have on Youtube to see if they have any video tutorials.

To learn about the application of the technology behind a Yamaha Arranger the videos that Yamaha have on their website for their PSR SX700 arranger will show you the features of that keyboard.

The features you have on your DGX will have a family similarity and watching these tutorials should help to get you into the Yamaha mindset needed to understand the way the OS works.

Ask a Question