Mixing Expansion Packs on Juno DS88

HKC

Reaction score
Hi there
Does anybody know if it's possible to mix the expansion packs from Roland Axial on the Juno DS88. I know there's only now slot but can I perhaps make my own library through the DS Librarian.

All the best
Henrik Krogh

HKC

Reaction score
I know I did but it was not actually what the thread was about. I thought maybe if I put it in a headline that I could get a little more attention :)

The link only refers to the 5080 presets I think. Doesn't the EXP 1-10 include waveforms as well, They are 33,6 MB each which would indicate more than just regular presets. I'm not sure there is a way to mix waveforms from different banks into one big bank. I like some of the orchestra stuff and I like some of the keyboard collection stuff but I think I may have to choose which I like more...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd advise you to post the question over at Rolandclan and get a definitive answer from the experts then.

Gary ;)

HKC

Reaction score
Good idea but somehow I can't get past the registration. It may be this question: Forest is to lawn as grass is to ______________. What is the answer to this........ Since the last attempt I have wondered if it is maybe "trees". It is not easy being from Denmark and getting quizzed to register :)

Reaction score
Good idea but somehow I can't get past the registration. It may be this question: Forest is to lawn as grass is to ______________. What is the answer to this........ Since the last attempt I have wondered if it is maybe "trees". It is not easy being from Denmark and getting quizzed to register :)

Well now you have 2 questions with no answer.
Ok not true, I can answer 1.

You can only have one expansion loaded at a time. I experimented and verified that you cannot mix and match. The reason is that the memory for the entire expansion’s samples sits in a fixed, limited space. It’s not merely the settings for eaxh patch. If you load an expansion, then save a patch to user space, then load a second expansion and go back and listen to the patch you put in user space, you will see that it is gone. That is because it’s underlying samples have been removed to make room for the second expansion.

Remember also that patches share samples in a library a lot. In other words, it’s not like there is a patch in the expansion library and its unique samples. If that were the case, it would be theoretically possible to find this data by parsing out the library and creating a new unique library. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but I don’t believe anyone has spent the considerable time to figure anything like this out.

I could be wrong and there is some dedicated person somewhere that has taken the time to do this, but I have not heard of it. I did a bit of googling for 3rd party librarians for Juno DS and didn’t see any. I would do a search for that. My gut tells me that any 3rd party librarian would also have the same limitation of one expansion at a time due to underlying library sample data.

HKC

Reaction score
I'm afraid that you are right but it is possible to copy the preset to a user preset while the EXP is loaded and then replace the samples with similar sounding ones. In many cases this is almost as good and not particularly difficult if you know your way around patch editing.

Thanks for the replies
HKC

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Forest is to lawn as grass is to "trees?" "pavement?" "stoners?"

Hard analogy to pick.

trees is the most likely word association but it's totally incorrect as an analogy.

I just msged one of the site admins to see if he can set something up for you.

He should be visiting this thread or sending you a msg with some arrangement for joining the rolandclan forums soon.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hello
I loaded the studio expansion and saved all patch in the user slots.
It did not save the patch once the Juno DS was turned off.
Not sure way I will look into this .since I would like to have patches from the Studio and the World expansions.
Please has anyone experienced with this ?

Forest is to lawn as grass is to "trees?" "pavement?" "stoners?"

Hard analogy to pick.

trees is the most likely word association but it's totally incorrect as an analogy.

I just msged one of the site admins to see if he can set something up for you.

He should be visiting this thread or sending you a msg with some arrangement for joining the rolandclan forums soon.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question