Mo8 or motif xs6

Reaction score
I am having trouble deciding between the two. I know they are completely different in size. Obviously i would love to get the yamaha motif xs8 but its too expensive. Here is the thing, should I sacrifice the 88 key action for the smaller more expensive motif xs? I am going to be using this keyboard for recording and playing around some. How is the quality of the Mo8 in recording? thanks

Reaction score
I am somewhat a beginner in using workstations. I am serious about it though and have been playing music for a while. I can get both for about the same price but was just wondering if the mo8 would be sufficient. Is sampling that important, I mean I could hook up my guitar to the xs8 and sample correct? what else could I do? I just want to make sure the mo8 if i get it has good sounds and could be used for a while

Reaction score
im guessing the MO8 will be plenty, are you planning on using the workstation to write/record or just to play out? one option may be to find a used mo8 and then save up for the xs later? idk im a big fan of used gear, mostly cause im poor haha

Reaction score
Soundwise... you will found the MO and the XS sound very similar. Plus, the fact
you can easily turn the MO into the full Motif ES (just load the missing sounds into the user bank :)).

Sampling is used to add your own or 3rd party samples into the keyboard,
expanding the sound libraries. Since MO is not a sampler, you just have the sounds
that come with it out of the box - but you're free to customize those any way you like.

Basically, the MO is exactly the same as the Motif ES except it doesn't have the sampling option, it's missing a few sounds
(like I said, those sounds CAN be loaded into the MO), the keybed on the MO is not as good as the one on the Motif
(but it's still better then any keybed on the PSR series or the one on the korg TR) and it has 3 IFX in Performance mode.

Apart from that - they are exactly the same, and if I were you, i'd go for the 88 keys rather
then 61 if that was my only keyboard.

Reaction score
I am going to be doing a decent amount of recording, but if the mo8 is sufficent for that I would rather go with the 88 keys

Reaction score
hey! i have an idea! maybe a good middle ground would be the yamaha s90es,

you can find them on ebay for the same price as a mo8!

Reaction score
I thought he was going for the new ones... but yea - the s90es would be even
a better choice if you don't mind a used keyboard.

It has all the sounds MO/ES has + a huge bank of new pianos.

One thing to note though .... the S series is more "stage-piano" based and
doesn't include the same deep editing as the motif line.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong

Reaction score
um i believe it is actually the the same as the motifs but without sequencing and sampling and with some extra pianos. It also has half dampering. and i'm almost positive it can edit sounds the same as the motif.

Reaction score
Thanks guys I actually ended up getting a used m08 for around 900. I decided why pay 700 xtra if I can find one in good shape. Thanks for all your help. Anyways now I just want to get a good practice amp for my room, nothing too big or expensive. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
i dont know your price range but check out the roland kc-150

also i use the yamaha stagepas too

there technically PAs but they get the job done.

Ask a Question