Modern Equivalent to Yamaha TG-33?

Reaction score
After a 20 year hiatus I have recently returned to playing music again. Back in the day I used a Korg SG-1 as my controller, and a Yamaha TG-33 to give me many nice sounds: strings, organs, etc. Today I have a Roland RD-800 with a ridiculous number of built in instruments and sounds. But alas, of course, the ones I want aren't present. So I'd like find a modern day equivalent to the old TG-33. (Specifically I'm looking for some nice steel guitar and fiddle sounds.)

My expectation was that, "nowadays", folks had their sounds as digital files on their computer, and used their instruments as controllers with the computers as the modern day equivalent to the old TG-33. But all of my searching has led me to believe that NOBODY actually plays instruments anymore, they just sit around and create tracks using their favorite DAW software. (.... OK, I might be letting a little frustration seep in here...) I've looked at a few programs like Kontakt, but it's unclear that these software packages are able to respond quickly enough for live performances.

I'm sure there are tons of nice sounds out there for me. But I don't know all the modern terminology and buzzwords when googling to find them. How are musicians adding new sounds to their instruments these days? What software is being used? Is it still stand-alone boxes like the old TG-33? Just point me in the right direction and I can research the rest! Thanks.

Reaction score
Welcome.

Your TG-33 was an FM synth keyless module and such items are still around but in their hundreds but I am unsure of what the modern equivalent of your module would be especially as Yamaha do not seem to produce module systems.

Behringer produce over 20 desktop synths and Korg produce many permutations of a synth. Korg are also the lead in the software App market so do checkout their Apps for an Apple iPad.

It is easy to see how you are a tad frustrated.

Taking of Korg, checkout their Opsix in particular the sounds included and come back to us if this is sort of sound pack that you seek.

Whilst you are auditioning sounds do include those on a Yamaha MX and come back with your thoughts.

So what I a really seeking is for you to sound audition a range of products and let us know which is closest to what you seek.

Not all of us here are computer based, in fact the majority have keyboards and not MIDI controllers at the heart of their setup. In fact over on another forum I am only aware if one Pro musician who uses only a Laptop based system and a Roland MIDI keyboard controller as his part of a live band.

DAW, we yes we all dabble and some here are very competent in the use of them, alas I am a dabbler.

A lot of keyboards have the memory capacity to add addition sounds via samples or sample packs. Commercial samples are available at a cost and freebie packs are often available via the manufacturer of the kit.

There is no simple answer to your questions as it is a combination of kit, apps and software that many musicians today use.

As for controlling live, again there is software in particular Main Stage by Apple that is used for controlling sounds in live performances. Main Stage runs on Macbook’s and the software includes 10Gb of sounds from Apple’s Logic Pro DAW. Other software similar to Main Stage is available.

Reaction score
Thanks Biggles, This was quite helpful.

I started by looking at the Korg Opsix and Yamaha MX solutions. But I don't think they're for me. I used to run multiple keyboards for different sounds. But kind of like only having one keyboard these days. Set-up and tear-down are MUCH easier. I can actually see the audience, the other band members, and they can see me. The newer RD-800 is easily modifiable and I can split the keyboard into multiple partitions with different sounds and octaves with the press of just a few buttons. So I don't really need that full rack of boards anymore.

Main Stage was the piece of the puzzle I was looking for. I'm a Windows guy, so a little Googling got me to Cantabile software which is billed as the "Windows equivalent to Main Stage". It was exactly what I was looking for and suspected was the current "way things are done". In fact, the feature set appears to be well beyond what I would have guessed was possible. I can upload myriad sound sets (VST files) from all over the web, most of them being 3rd party (I'm not just locked in to Cantabile products.) The VST files are typically highly configurable, not just limited to one sound. The demo I watched shows a free, configurable synth VST, being routed through another free configurable leslie VST. The free version of Cantabile appears to be sufficient, and the pro version is fairly inexpensive.

Thanks again. I knew that one or two magic keywords would be enough to put me on the right track!

Ask a Question