Monitor speakers with multiple keyboards

Reaction score
As I've said in another thread, I'm traveling back and forth between my house and my new appartment for the time being, until I will be moving permanently in Summer 2020.
At home, I've got two keyboards connected to a Laney AH150 amp.

My third keyboard, a Korg Kross 2 88, I will be moving to the appartment. I will need speakers. I was thinking of getting something not too expensive, like a pair of Behringer Studio 50USB speakers. However, they've only got jack inputs for one keyboard. What if, further down the road, I wanted to get a second keyboard or midi controller (sth like the Numa Compact 2X) to add to the Korg, how would I hook that up ?
Using some sort of 'in between' device, or use MIDI, or what ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I use a Behringer 1002B mixer.

I feed both my keyboards into it and my Behringer PA speakers are supplied from the mixer. I also have a pair of headphones attached to the mixer which I can use when I play / practice without disturbing my Wife.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I use one of these in my Living room to share monitors with a Juno DS88, Ferrofish B4000+ and a Behringer Neutron.

I paid about $40 CDN for it and it shipped with an AC power supply.

In my main studio I use one of these.

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Gary, like the little mixer. I might purchase one of those. question about the yamaha, I just joined another band and we've done a couple of shows; the band has the yamaha mixer from your link. The guy who runs the board has issues with reverb in the monitors; he can't seem to independently control the monitor vs. main outputs. we want the monitors dry but the mains wet; he can't seem to do that. Is that the mixer's deficiency or does the soundman just not know how to operate the mixer? I've never had time to study the mixer myself to figure out the issue.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
He should be able to assign a dry output to the auxilliary outs I think.

The manual is pretty sketchy and doesn't explain anything except the basics but it's worth studying if you're hitting a snag.

Still it should explain the effects routing well enough for this purpose.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The Kross has line inputs so you should be able to take the output of your second keyboard and send it to the Kross, which would then send the combined sounds of both keyboards to the speakers.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Personally I prefer using a mixer to daisy chaining thru line in and out. The controls are in hardware and right in front of you for easy access.

Most keyboards force you to go thru deep menu diving to access volume and tone controls for Aux Inputs.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I agree, a mixer is preferable, but the other should work if you're trying to save some $ or minimize clutter.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
$50 is dinner for 4 at McDonald's.

If that's too rich for your budget you need a cheaper hobby :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I suggest that to future proof yourself that you get a mixer with far more inputs than the one you quote.

Just think about what equipment is on your “must have” list and hiw that will need to be interfaced.

Tip
Have a look at Gary’s diagrams to give you some ideas of what kit you are likely to buy at some time in the future.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, in addition to Bigg's excellent advice I'd like to add that the best investment you can make in the longevity of your keyboards is to buy dust covers for all of your keys.

I use these guys

And these guys for my dustcovers.

Whatever you do, don't buy the cheap, one-size-fits-all, spandex dustcovers they sell on Amazon. Those things are more like dust incubators and will creep into the keyswitches of your boards rendering them inoperable.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yeah those are the spandex covers. You may as well dump a bucket of sand on your keyboards :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Yeah those are the spandex covers. You may as well dump a bucket of sand on your keyboards :p

Gary ;)

Yeah, but they're not one size fits all :p
FYI, I wipe them with a microfiber duster before I remove them from the keyboard, so no dust gets in between the keys ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The problem is that they are permeable to dust!!!

They suck up dust like a magnet and every time you apply or remove the cover dust falls off and enters the keyboard.

It's up to you but all my dust covers are custom made rubberized ripstop nylon.

Not a shred of dust gets thru. :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Does everyone here on the forum use the kind of covers that happyrat1 uses ? :p
Am I the only person in the world who uses the Odyssey ones ? :D

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The problem is that a lot of people don't know better or care about protecting their keys from dust.

Until 5 to 10 years later when all of a sudden keys start sounding too loud or not at all because of dust infiltration.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question