Most basic way to record songs ideas so I don't forget them?

Reaction score
Besides sticking my iPhone in front of my keyboard amp to capture song ideas, what's a good way to set up the ability to record directly from my keyboards and into my PC or iPhone? I have an Alesis QS8.1, Yamaha MOXF8 and Korg PS60 all plugged into a Behringer Mixer, but I'd be happy just being to record from just one keyboard. Thanks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Aside from using a MIDI USB hookup to record the actual MIDI notes with software you could use one of these to record easily on the fly.

http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-DR-05-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B004OU2IQG

or one of these if you are looking for a more professional mixdown.

http://www.amazon.com/DP-008EX-Portastudio-Portable-Multi-Track-Recorder/dp/B00B9060X6

Otherwise it's probably more convenient to simply record into your phone than walk around with yet another electronic device as your digital notekeeper.

And if you are looking for a professional sounding recording you should invest in the appropriate cables and adapters to plug your recorder or phone directly into the Behringer Mixer's monitor line outputs.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't always have any of my keyboards handy whenever I get a melody running through my head, so what I like to do is use my computer (desktop, laptop, or tablet) to enter the notes into a music notation software program. My favorite program for ease of use is NCH Crescendo, which is free. And if I need to plonk on a few keys to figure out which notes I'm hearing in my head, I use the free VMPK (Virtual MIDI Piano Keyboard) program for that. The nice thing about this is that you can do it on a tablet PC while lying in bed (e.g., if you wake up in the middle of the night with a melody in your head), and you end up with actual sheet music. You don't necessarily need to enter in the entire song, just create a "lead sheet" containing the basic melody phrases-- i.e., enough so that when you do get to your keyboard(s) later you've got something to remind you what that catchy melody was that you couldn't get out of your head. :)

Reaction score
I don't always have any of my keyboards handy whenever I get a melody running through my head, so what I like to do is use my computer (desktop, laptop, or tablet) to enter the notes into a music notation software program. My favorite program for ease of use is NCH Crescendo, which is free. And if I need to plonk on a few keys to figure out which notes I'm hearing in my head, I use the free VMPK (Virtual MIDI Piano Keyboard) program for that. The nice thing about this is that you can do it on a tablet PC while lying in bed (e.g., if you wake up in the middle of the night with a melody in your head), and you end up with actual sheet music. You don't necessarily need to enter in the entire song, just create a "lead sheet" containing the basic melody phrases-- i.e., enough so that when you do get to your keyboard(s) later you've got something to remind you what that catchy melody was that you couldn't get out of your head. :)

Nice one, Michael,

Sounds good, but let me tell ya, that wouldn't work for me. Soon as I plonk myself in front of a computer screen, my creative mojo logs off. :-(

I use one of these little old gems, long-since a discontinued model but still does for me: Olympus DS-330 digital dictation recorder.

Snapped up two of 'em for fifteen UK pounds some time back on a resale site: Still see a few of 'em up for sale, even now after twelve years or so.

Forget high-quality audio, (it's a dictaphone, see: cross between a bad telephone line and a wind-up gramophone. There's no memory card, just 16MB flash memory, and forget about a Windows 7 link-up. (Why whip yourself)? I just use it as a standalone scratch pad to keep any quick ideas logged.

But here's the thing about this little recorder, and to me, it was like finding buried treasure: It includes in its editing functions: overwrite, append and INSERT, can you believe!

If you're a songwriter, lyricist, poet, you'll love those functions. Of course, both Yamaha and Olympus have their current, equivalent models: bigger, fancier and priced to make you gulp. :)

Doctors, lawyers and other posh punters praised the DS-330 highly back in 2003:

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-DS330-Digital-Voice-Recorder/product-reviews/B000068QIT

If you're wondering about the green duct tape, it's my finger hold modification. Makes it a true one-handed operation, whilst walking, lying in a hammock ...
Treasure.jpg

cheers to all

Reaction score
If you're wondering about the green duct tape, it's my finger hold modification. Makes it a true one-handed operation, whilst walking, lying in a hammock ...

Nice, I like it! :D

Ask a Question