Most crucial computer part for DAW recording -

Reaction score
Hello, Everyone - for recording live audio performance and midi tracks into a DAW, where there may be DAW plug-ins and samples being used, what is the most crucial component of the computer system? Lots of RAM? processor speed? Processor threads? Hard drive speed?

I might be recording 2 to 5 lines into something like a Xenyx 1202USB, running into the computer to record one or a few tracks, then maybe add synthesizer by line in, or by midi. So, at the most I might have live sound running into the DAW from the mixer's USB, while also having midi tracks playing, or operating a soft synth in the computer at the same time. --Thanks!

Reaction score
Its not just one component.

Its how they all work together, but there is one that is more important than the others.

Work on 2Gb RAM per Processor core, a lot of laptops have minimal RAM.

So a quad core with 8Gb RAM and a solid state hard drive will serve you well, a SSD drive will boot very quick hence ideal for on stage use.

The one component that is more important than the others is the quality of the inbuilt sound-card.

Compatibility of the DAW with the soundcard and its drivers is probably the most problematic issue that anyone has.

I certainly tried a few DAWs and quite a few were difficult if not impossible to get functioning on my old but still fast laptop.

Ask a Question