Most expensive indoor toy... Genos !!!

Reaction score
Well, since I am a level 3 keyboard player from a scale of 0 to 10, I can comfortably admit that I just purchased the most expensive indoor toy of my life: Genos...
God help me!
Right now all I have the Genos keyboard with no stand or its unique speakers or a subwoofer. Since I brought it home yesterday I only upgraded the firmware to the current one as of Feb 2022 and that's it! I am still trying to learn by reading the manuals
Now, I have few questions;

- At this point should I consider the GNS-MS01 Speaker system that sells for $350 or something else like PreSonus Eris E5 ? If I go PreSonus route then what should I get as subwoofer? Any recommendations. Please keep in mind I play at home only to bug my wife but I'd like to have a sound system that puts a nice quality HiFi system

- Right now I am watching Youtube videos to learn how to operate this thing and trying to figure it out how to transfer and incorporate Tyros5 song list to it? Anybody done that? I need to be able to do that...

- Also, as for keyboard stand, is there a benefit to get that overpriced L-7B by Yamaha designed specifically for Genos or is there another brand or model does the similar job with similar quality?

Reaction score
$6000 is one hell of a toy to try for a few hours and discount but presumably you bought the $3800 second user one.

What are you after in a keyboard?

You did buy the Korg Pa700 which for many is a great keyboard and whilst the OS takes some learning that is true of them all, no matter who makes them.

What happened with the Pa700?

As it is there are only two top end arranger the Genos and the Korg Pa4X.

Next run down and its the Korg Pa1000 and Yamaha PSR SX900.

Another step down and its the Korg Pa700 and Yamaha PSR SX700

Yet another rung down and there is only the SX600

Then we are at beginner level keyboards.

That’s it, realistically there are not many arrangers, there are some Medeli and some Ketron‘s. Medeli have zero presence in many countries and Ketron’s are reputed to have a very complex OS.

Reaction score
Tack two.

Forget the manuals, they are written in Japanese, translated into Welsh, which is then translated into Urdo, which in turn is translated again into Greek and Greek into Klingon and finally Klingon into some kind of English.

All manuals are the same, have one issue and try to find a solution is next to impossible.

So where to start learning this complex instrument?

One step at a time and where I always suggest starting is with the video tutorials.

So do have a look through them and see if they then start to make sense.

Practice working along on the Genos the second time you watch each video tutorial

As a comparison do take a look at Korg’s Video Manual series for their Pa1000.

Reaction score
$6000 is one hell of a toy to try for a few hours and discount but presumably you bought the $3800 second user one.

What are you after in a keyboard?

You did buy the Korg Pa700 which for many is a great keyboard and whilst the OS takes some learning that is true of them all, no matter who makes them.

What happened with the Pa700?

As it is there are only two top end arranger the Genos and the Korg Pa4X.

Next run down and its the Korg Pa1000 and Yamaha PSR SX900.

Another step down and its the Korg Pa700 and Yamaha PSR SX700

Yet another rung down and there is only the SX600

Then we are at beginner level keyboards.

That’s it, realistically there are not many arrangers, there are some Medeli and some Ketron‘s. Medeli have zero presence in many countries and Ketron’s are reputed to have a very complex OS.

I found this brand new one and bought it thinking an arranger would be easier to use compared to a workstations like Motif or ModX or Fantom etc. for me since I am not a "real" keyboard player.
My goal was to be able to play some electronic music and time to time play few well known tunes with the help of the built in song database for accompany etc.

It is hard to try these type of equipment first and then decide to buy it or not so I buy it first try and if I don't fell in love within 24 hrs I turn around and sell it.

My offer for $3800 on the one that was selling at Reverb site for $4000 + shipping was declined!

Last edited:
Reaction score
At the same time my Church band needed a drummer and by returning that I converted that expense to a Roland E Drum Set and accessories etc.

Reaction score
Well at this point I am trying to sell the Genos I have, so let's start from there! We can think about getting me the "right" keyboard will be a later concern at this moment!

yul

Reaction score
Had purchased and sold my PSR-SX900 (similar to Genos) but then realized there is nothing quite like it and now trying to get another one.

Workstations are complicated too you know especially the sequencers are not easy frmo what I hear.

I am sometimes very tired to go on my computer /daw to make music and the ease of access of the arrangers can't be beat.

If you can venture on customizing your styles (simple drums and bass) sometimes having a basic simple backing to just play is very nice.

Sequencer/song recorder on the SX900 is straightforward but mostly meant to record entire passes.

Maybe you should go the SX900?

Reaction score
OK after careful deliberations and soul searching I decided to keep the Genos and give myself a chance to catch up to its level... Well at least a little closer to its level. I'll never be the master of it but at least I can try to do my best with it and check it out to see where it'll take me.
Just ordered its original sound system and the stand. Currently I am using it with a generic stand and HS5 monitor and it ain't that bad. Hopefully by the middle of the next week they will arrive and I'll have the original setup!
I am still downloading stuff from Yamaha website and updating the Genos with new sounds and styles and playlists...
It's a steep hill to climb but I think it'll worth it!
Thanks for all the advice...

Ask a Question