Motif ES

Reaction score
I want to check the battery on my keyboard because some weird things are happening. I don’t think it’s the battery but I want to double check how much is left in it. However a forum tried to tell me that there is no battery in this keyboard. Is that true? If it’s not true how can I access this battery because I can’t find it in the manual nor can I find on the Internet.

Thanks

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I know that some earlier models of Yamaha synthesizers and keyboards had an onboard battery, but I don't think the newer models do-- although I don't know when Yamaha stopped using them. The manuals of newer models still have some sentences in the first few pages which say something like "This keyboard may have a battery in it," but I think that statement is left over from years ago when some models did have onboard batteries-- it was presumably just never edited out of the preliminary "warnings and warranties and disclosures" legalese that's given at the beginning of the manuals.

In short, if the service manual doesn't show the location of an onboard battery or list it in the parts listing, then there is none.

As far as "some weird things are happening," sometimes the electronic circuits inside a keyboard can start to get out of whack, producing signals that are no longer within the expected tolerance range, or they might get burned out completely. I'm no electrician or electronics engineer, so I might not be describing things correctly, but basically-- shorts do happen, circuits can start to run hot and act wonky, etc.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First thing to check if your keyboard is acting up is to do a factory reset. Check your manual.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
only the original motif series uses an internal battery. ES onwards, no internal battery to replace.

QUOTE :

“ Last Update: 01/15/2016

Motif 6, Motif 7, Motif 8 : Does the Motif Have an Internal Battery ?

The only Motif series that had an internal battery was the 2001 Motif 6/7/8. The lithium battery is a CR2450. This battery supports the user memory.

There is no battery on the newer Motif series’ ES, XS or XF. “

END QUOTE.

So i would follow Gary's advice above. If you still have issues after that then it might be time to bring it in for service.

Reaction score
only the original motif series uses an internal battery. ES onwards, no internal battery to replace.

QUOTE :

“ Last Update: 01/15/2016

Motif 6, Motif 7, Motif 8 : Does the Motif Have an Internal Battery ?

The only Motif series that had an internal battery was the 2001 Motif 6/7/8. The lithium battery is a CR2450. This battery supports the user memory.

There is no battery on the newer Motif series’ ES, XS or XF. “

END QUOTE.

So i would follow Gary's advice above. If you still have issues after that then it might be time to bring it in for service.
ya, looks like I'll have to. just WHEN? Oh well, thanks for the advice.

Ask a Question