Motif ES7 is changing patches by itself

Reaction score
Hello I just purchased a used ES7 and when I power it up and choose a patch it just starts to change to different patches. I saw on an old thread about the power issue so I plugged it into an APC power supply and it still did the same thing. I checked to see if any buttons were stuck and they were all fine. PLEASE are there any other suggestions I can try? Thanks in advance for your help.

Reaction score
I have an ES myself and never had this problem, but it certainly sounds to me to be a shorted switch. We had a similar post last year and one of our members ,Delaware Dave, offered this:
" Check to ensure your buttons or wheel are stuck. If you have a semi-stuck program buttons/wheels it will act as if it is being held down and continue to change programs even when you let go. You might want to vigorously spin the wheels and continuously push the buttons to see if if will free them up and then see if your issue stops. "

Reaction score
I have an ES myself and never had this problem, but it certainly sounds to me to be a shorted switch. We had a similar post last year and one of our members ,Delaware Dave, offered this:
I saw that post and I went through each button and the wheels to no avail. Thanks for your response.

Reaction score
To no avail I even had it looked at by a tech who could not solve the patch change issue. I’m wondering if the main board may be the issue as he went through each switch and found no issues.

Reaction score
Before you invest any more hard earned cash, you might want to check with the Motif gurus over at motifator.com to see if they can shed any light on your situation.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I concur with Max. It's probably a flaky jog wheel.

These types of encoders are notorious for failing in this manner.

Tell me. When your board changes patches by itself, does it go to the next or the previous patch in the sequence?

If so, then it is definitely the wheel encoder and should be replaced.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I recently bought a used ES6 and I am having the same issues. I bought it off Reverb.com in November and it was fine. My bandmate cloned it to his with USB so when it loads it is identical to his keyboard which is what I wanted. It was perfectly fine for 3 gigs. Then one night it was in my car and it was pretty cold over night. 14degrees. I set it up for a gig and it turned and and loaded fine. Ten minutes later I look at the screen and it is on some random patch called “rock steady” and then would randomly change screens from different patches to edit screen, sequence screen etc. Turning it on and off doesnt make a difference. Then when plugged in for about 45min to an hour it goes back to normal. My sound repair guy told me to make sure it isnt left in car and inside where it is warm. So I
did that, then put it in car for my gig and it turned on and was normal for about ten min. and same thing happened again. Same “rock steady”
patch and then switching to random screens. I took it to my repair guy and he plugged it in and had it turned on all day and it never did any of this. He opened it up and found nothing wrong or alarming. He did some soldering on the power supply just in case there was anything loose. No sign of water damage at all. He had it on and off for 4 days and it was totally normal. I am going to pick it up tomorrow but now I am super paranoid. I cant deal with not knowing. Has anyone had this issue,and if so what was the fix if any?

Reaction score
Motif has what we called a Function board (usually by the right side on the face of the Keyboard) this functions board controls the "voice selections" "Performance" "Master" and tones buttons where you select voices like Piano, strings, Organ, Brass, etc.

Whenever this function board becomes faulty it started picking menus on the screen randomly. The best solution to this is to replace that function motherboard usually called "Pnc".

Ask a Question