Motif XS8 Factory Reset on power up

Reaction score
Greetings,

I own and operate a backline company. On a show yesterday I noticed that each time we power up our Motif XS8 you get a message that says something close to "Loading (or perhaps initializing) factory set........" It appears that each time you power up the keyboard it does a factory reset. It is the same message that you get when you actual do a factory reset.

Is that normal?

Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Check your manual to see if there's an internal backup battery. It may need replacement.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Very first page of the manual under "Special Message Section" top right hand column.

Battery Notice: This product MAY contain a small non-
rechargable battery which (if applicable) is soldered in place. The
average life span of this type of battery is approximately five years.
When replacement becomes necessary, contact a qualified service
representative to perform the replacement.

Warning: Do not attempt to recharge, disassemble, or incinerate
this type of battery. Keep all batteries away from children. Dispose
of used batteries promptly and as regulated by applicable laws.
Note: In some areas, the servicer is required by law to return the
defective parts. However, you do have the option of having the
servicer dispose of these parts for you.

That "MAY contain" notice cracks me up. IF it exists it's not user serviceable but you still have to talk to a tech to find out IF it even exists :D

So it MAY be just Yamaha boilerplate legalese OR it MAY contain a battery :D :D :D

Call up Yamaha support and try and get a straight answer out of them :D

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, Yamaha MAY or MAY NOT admit there's a battery in the XS8 but these guys actually carry and sell the part :D

http://www.syntaur.com/yamaha_motif.html

Google has some hits regarding a battery in that model as well.

https://www.google.ca/search?num=10...8.0....0...1c.1.51.hp..4.14.2868.0.jirUm7sg1B

At any rate that particular model is around 7 years old so a failing battery is a good bet.

Be careful though as there may be problems restoring the operating system if the battery is not installed with a correct procedure.

Rolands for instance, tend to lose the entire OS when certain types of reset are performed.

Make sure your tech knows what he's doing.

My advice if it's out of warranty is find a good tech and hire him to remove the old battery and install a proper battery socket so in the future it will become user replaceable. Ask him if there are any specific procedures to be followed when changing a battery in this beast or not.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Mike, the manual says there's a parameter that controls this-- see page 269:

1 Power On Auto Factory Set
When this parameter is set to “on,” turning the power on
will restore the User memory to the factory default settings
and load the demo songs and demo patterns. Normally,
this should be set to “off.”
Settings: on, off

Check the setting of that parameter and see if it helps. Check out the onboard battery issue, too, of course. I'd say that if that parameter is set to "on," and you change it to "off" and save it but it goes back to "on" when you power up the keyboard again, then it sounds like the battery issue-- so that should be a quick way to test it and see.

Ask a Question