Moving from All-in-one Workstation to Digital/mac-based system

Reaction score
Hello,

I play in a band that plays over simple keyboard sequences, or rather... have simple keyboard sequences to support the band to add a more full sound.

For years I have used all-in-one solutions for all 3 steps: composing, sequencing & live playback. First it was the Roland XP-60, then more recently the Korg M-3.

We are constantly trying to find ways to make our gear more compact and effective. Since we don't do any live keyboard playing, we have no need to lug a keyboard itself.

I'm now thinking of converting over to a Mac-based solution to strip things down further. Here's my thought: use a Mac with controller for both rehearsing/composing and sequencing. Then output our finished sequences to a compact playback unit for live shows (ie AKAI MPC unit).

Since the software-based world is new to me, do you guys have suggestions for specific gear to help me migrate over to a new system? I'd love suggestions for both Mac software as well as live playback units which are RELIABLE.

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Here's my thought: use a Mac with controller for both rehearsing/composing and sequencing. Then output our finished sequences to a compact playback unit for live shows (ie AKAI MPC unit).

Are you playing back audio or triggering sounds via midi?

How much control do you need over what you're playing back? Do you need to do any of the following during your performance:

Change tempo
Change key (shift up or down)
Tweak sounds live (e.g. muck about with a filter)
Mute parts or change volumes relative to each other
Repeat sections - have them looping until you switch them off

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply! To answer your questions...

currently in our Korg M3 we're simply playing back sounds from the internal module. We're not using any audio samples so I suppose its simply playing back MIDI data?

We don't need to tweak things live, simply play everything back. There is one song that I program a tempo change in the M3, but its not done on the fly, its preprogramed into the tempo track. We won't need key changes, live filtering adjustments, or looping. Any volume changes again I've preprogrammed in our sequences.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Yes I think that would work but what gear would I need for the different setup after I sell the M3? What would I use to compose & sequence, then what would I use as playback unit with click?

Thanks.

Reaction score
My suggestion was to make your live rig more compact.

Click track - include it on the backing track (stereo audio file e.g. mp3 or .wav). When mixing down the audio have the click panned hard left and everything else hard right (or other way around). It'll be in mono but that's fine for live. Use a splitter (stereo one end, two 1/4 inch jacks on the other) when going to two channels on your desk. Click will be on one channel, the backing track on the other.

I wasn't suggesting you sell the M3, just leave it at home.

Reaction score
Yes I understand and agree. But what gear would I need to playback the sequences live in the more compact form?

Also I actually would like to sell the M3 and use a software-based workstation for sequencing & composing. What gear would you suggest for this? Or is there an even more compact all-in-one solution that you know of?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
They'll be in mp3 or .wav. Play them back on anything that you have lying around that won't jump when you bump into it (like portable CD players used to).

In the past bands have used DAT players, then cassette based solutions like ADATs or DA88s. You have small files now that'll play back from a phone. Go for it. An iPod or any mp3 player. It'll be fine for live stuff. DJs do it all the time from their laptops.

Software based solutions for assembling your stuff - take your pick. Have you a old Mac or PC lying around already? If so post the spec. It'll run something. Lots of inexpensive (and some free) options out there.

Reaction score
Hello,

I play in a band that plays over simple keyboard sequences, or rather... have simple keyboard sequences to support the band to add a more full sound.

For years I have used all-in-one solutions for all 3 steps: composing, sequencing & live playback. First it was the Roland XP-60, then more recently the Korg M-3.

We are constantly trying to find ways to make our gear more compact and effective. Since we don't do any live keyboard playing, we have no need to lug a keyboard itself.

I'm now thinking of converting over to a Mac-based solution to strip things down further. Here's my thought: use a Mac with controller for both rehearsing/composing and sequencing. Then output our finished sequences to a compact playback unit for live shows (ie AKAI MPC unit).

Since the software-based world is new to me, do you guys have suggestions for specific gear to help me migrate over to a new system? I'd love suggestions for both Mac software as well as live playback units which are RELIABLE.

Thanks!!

Did you say you wanted to convert your playbacks to MP3 or WAV?
Or did you want to keep it MIDI and fire off real sounds/patches?
Like the sound you are used to getting by using an actual keyboard live?
I'm curious...

Reaction score
Hey kirkwood, either way is fine so long as its reliable and compact. Do you have a suggestion for something that could work?

Thanks!

Reaction score
What I would reccomend, which is what we are currently using live,
would probaly sound a bit wrong, ("lolz") and not as small as a stand alone mac..
so...
the mac with a nice module should be perfect for you.
I hear good things about the Roland Sonic Cell, but havent
actually been in the room to say.
I don't know enough about VSTi, but if they can handle the sequence
polyphony, would not that be the most compact and best sounding
setup? Those VSTi sounds are much fatter than WAV/MP3 samples IMO.
And all you would bring to the stage is a laptop...

Reaction score
I know this thread is quite old, but I'll throw in my suggestion anyway.

Ableton Live is a digital audio workstation (DAW) software that can be used in both Windows and OSX (Mac) computers. It has so called session view that suits well live performers. With a laptop, Ableton Live and a Novation Launchpad or similar midi-controller OP could easily trigger both audio samples and midi/VSTi based tracks. Ableton Live includes pianoroll editor that enables composing with a mouse. Cheap midi keyboards are of course an option for composing. Lot cheaper and lighter than a Korg M3 anyway. Ableton Live includes some virtual instruments like virtual analog synths and a sampler. They are decent but not top of their game. Best VSTi:s beat Korg M3's EDS-i soundengine, That being said, I feel hardware synths to be more suitable for creative improvisational playing where I get most new ideas for tunes.

For more information about the workflow with Ableton Live and a launchpad just do a search in youtube.

Reaction score
I feel hardware synths to be more suitable for creative improvisational playing where I get most new ideas for tunes.

Thats what I think too. And I didn't want to recomend a hardware sequencer,
but thats what we use. I have 2 MC-80s, (one's a spare just in case) that goes into
one of two racks. One rack for small clubs with 2 modules, and the other for large,
with 10. The big rack sounds a lot better, but if you want compact, the smaller
one with the MC on top, isnt all that much bigger than a laptop, sounds pretty huge,
and its made to be onstage and never has any problems.
But I would really like to be able to get the same performance out of a laptop!
That would be unreal, just walk into soundcheck with an iPad. The bands on our
circuit that use one only use it for sequence playback, not sounds,
and even those crash.

Reaction score
My band sometimes does special production tunes for use in our shows. I
sequence the material, render it to audio in my DAW, then save it as an
MP3 file onto a small recorder I have that is similar to an Ipad. (Mine is called a "Pocket DJ" , I think). A click track is on one side of the stereo track, and the audio is on the other side of the stereo track.
Really simple, very dependable, and sounds fine in a live mix.
Don

Ask a Question