Moving on...

Reaction score
I have been buying and returning many keyboards over the past months but I feel my quest for perfection has not come to an end yet.

I currently have a Korg Kross 2 88, a Korg Krome EX 88, a Korg PA700 and a Korg PA1000.
And the past few weeks I've been playing only the Krome EX. Sure, I've tried out the PA700 and PA1000, but even though they're very capable instruments, they (still) just don't give me what I want. And I've hardly touched them.

Luckily, I bought everything from an online retailer who offers 60-day return policy. Very nice to have, but they're not without fault.

So far, everything I returned has been paid back in full. However, some time ago, I returned a Roland FA-08 and unfortunately, they refunded the value of the Korg Kross 2 88 (maybe because I returned it in the box of the Kross 2 since I didn't have the original Roland box anymore) . A mistake can happen, but they've been looking into it for over a month but haven't found the cause of the mistake yet.

In any case, they owe me money and I lost my patience last week on the phone with them. Said that I would return everything I ever bought from them if they didn't find a solution within the next 48 hours.
They still haven't found what the problem is, so I'm going to keep my promise to them and return the lot (except from the Kross 2 88, that's no longer within the 60 days period).
Whatever happens, even if they do refund me (they owe me around 600 euros), they'll never sell me anything anymore.

Cutting a long story short: I'm no longer happy, obviously, with mid-range keyboards. Allow me to explain...

I went to a store again, and thought of indulging myself and have a go with the big boys.

Still enamoured with the Korg Grandstage, I played the Kronos. Wonderful keybed, but the rest felt more like the Krome EX on (huge) steroids. Still, the Kronos deserves its reputation, but it still is a complicated instrument, like the PA series and the Krome. Too many menus, not enough hands-on...

Next up was the Kawai MP11SE : keybed action was simply perfect, the sounds, although only 40, were as perfect as the keybed. Super easy to use. Love it. Of course, it's a lot less money than the Kronos, but still, felt like a professional piece of kit.
RD-2000, very good keybed, lots of sounds but somehow, not my thing.

Lastly, and this had been capturing my attention for a while, was the Nord Stage 3 88. It really is what I expected it to be, it just oozes quality and perfection, but I'd never considered it because of the price. The combined value of the Krome EX, PA700 and PA1000, however, more than covers the cost of the Stage 3, so I thought, why not...

I came very close to purchasing the Kawai MP11SE ; it's the perfect digital piano, but a bit limited when you want more than that. The one I really wanted all along, though, is the Nord Stage 3. I understand there's a learning curve as well, but nothing like the Kronos. And it's a smashing stage piano to boot (piano and EP are my main interest).
No need for second tiers (the Grandstage/Vox Continental combo is out, really), as I've come to the conclusion that I thought I needed them, but in the end, I don't use them.

I think I have come as close to perfection as I can, because if the Nord Stage 3 is not to my liking, then I don't know what else will be, lest I go back to the roots and buy an acoustic piano again...
The Kross 2 88 will still be around, though, still love it and will be playing it separately in the appartment, and I can always use it as a second tier for the Nord or something when I move. I'll find a use for it.
Only thing I have to decide now, is which Spider Pro to sell when I've sold the house, the black or the silver one ;)

Crazy Kaneda signing off for now :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
???????????????????????????????

If I was the retailer then I would be changing the T&C's.

As for a Nord, that I can relate to only played a Stage 3 once and loved it.

A few months ago I went into A&C Hamilton's in Preston in the UK where their sales guy Justin was playing a Nord Piano 4 88 and he was almost drooling over it, never seen him so enthusiastic about a keyboard before, this is him comparing the Piano 4 and a Grandstage.

If you are after piano sounds then the Piano 4 will be a better choice than a Stage 3, but whatever I advise (or anyone else for that matter) you will no doubt ignore it.

Remember way back when you came here you were advised to stick with one keyboard until you got back up to your original standard and that you had plenty of time to research properly, did you listen....no.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If I was the retailer you'd be banned from my store for life.

That's the sort of abuse of return policies that drives up prices for everyone.

As for shipping a Roland back in a Korg box?

I don't see how they even accepted the return at all.

If I was the retailer, I'd be shopping around for hit men right about now :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
If I was the retailer then I would be changing the T&C's.

If they state that there's a 60 days return policy, then I'm happy to make use of it. They're in the business to make money, I just want the best deal possible when I buy something. Full stop.

If I was the retailer you'd be banned from my store for life.

That's the sort of abuse of return policies that drives up prices for everyone.

As for shipping a Roland back in a Korg box?

I don't see how they even accepted the return at all.

If I was the retailer, I'd be shopping around for hit men right about now :p

They're not the cheapest, but that return policy is second to none :p
I shipped the Roland back in a Korg box, but I explicitely said so on the phone, I mentioned it on the return form (which they confirmed by email) so seriously, whose fault is it ?
Incompetence, if you ask me.

If you are after piano sounds then the Piano 4 will be a better choice than a Stage 3, but whatever I advise (or anyone else for that matter) you will no doubt ignore it.
Remember way back when you came here you were advised to stick with one keyboard until you got back up to your original standard and that you had plenty of time to research properly, did you listen....no.

You've got a point. But it's in my nature, I guess, to always second guess. I agree that you warned me about the second tier, kudos to you for that. I disagree about the arrangers, though. The PA700 and 1000 and very fine instruments, but ultimately, they don't offer me what I want. Still, it's nice to see how you enjoy your PA700 and a big thumbs up for all the advice you offer on this forum !

As for a Nord, that I can relate to only played a Stage 3 once and loved it.

A few months ago I went into A&C Hamilton's in Preston in the UK where their sales guy Justin was playing a Nord Piano 4 88 and he was almost drooling over it, never seen him so enthusiastic about a keyboard before, this is him comparing the Piano 4 and a Grandstage.

The Nord Grand and Piano 4 are closer to a real piano, but the Stage 3 has the best of both worlds (I'm also in to eighties FM sounds, forgot to mention that). The Grand has the same action as the Kawai MP11SE, I believe, and the Piano 4 is very close, also featuring triple sensor action. The Stage 3 is very very close behind, really, and I don't believe there are piano sounds on the Piano 4 or Grand that you cannot get for the Stage 3 (AFAIK, additional sounds are freely downloadable from Nord).
Also, the Stage 3 has the organ sounds. Love the Doors, mentioned that in another thread...
When you take into account the price difference between the Piano 4 and the Stage 3, I don't think they skimped on features.

For a true piano experience, I shouldn't even be bothering with Nord and go for the Kawai MP11SE. This time, tough, I'm going for the best money can buy. I'm bound NOT to be disappointed this time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Its a bit rich having a go at your reseller by calling them incompetent when you cannot choose the correct keyboard for your needs.

This is the final piece of advice I am going to give you:-

Buy wisely, buy once.

Ask a Question