Moving... UGH

Reaction score
Well just venting. My wife and I are in the moving process from a great apartment into a house that her sister owns and became available. (still deciding on a retirement move from there) A lot more privacy, a garage and great yard and HALF the rent..

But the moving process sucks....its only across town but doing it, for the most part, all myself. (wife works a lot and tooo much)
So no online time other to check in and see what words of wisdom my forum mates have. Can't wait until is done and reset up at the new place. Be back soon

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Joe >>> I feel for ya dude. Moving is one of those jobs that gets harder the older ya get.

Two words of advice...

1) DO give yourself plenty of time to pack everything up before the move. At least a couple of months if not more.

2) Go on Yelp and find some decent movers. Saving yourself $600 ain't worth the pain of throwing your back out and losing every friend you ever had.

Good luck with the move :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Boxes, boxes, boxes.

Sort items into categories etc not quite essential, non essential, trivia, shoes etc

Place Garage Sale item together and sell them on before you move r donate them to a charity, do not take things you do not need.

Protect wrap each and place in the appropriate category of box

Inventory each item

When a box is full seal it and give it a reference number, write the number on the inventory

Keep going until you have just the bear necessities left.

Then get removal prices for the Company to come in, for them to pack up the remainder, load everything into their van and for them to do the reverse at the house you are moving to.

Then you have all the boxes you packed in say a single room or the garage and you can unpack them at your leasure as each box is numbered and you have the inventory of what is in the box.

If after six months you still have unopened boxes, question if you really need to keep them.

The above is what we did for our last two moves and getting the removal company to box the necessities and for them to move all the furniture makes life very, very easy.

Tip
Do take images galore immediately prior to your move of all your furniture etc just in case damage occurs you then have images to show them and the claims assessor the problem if indeed there are any problems.

Reaction score
Moving sucks! It'll be worth it in the end though, so I hope it all goes smoothly. My favourite gadget for packing boxes is a tape gun, they're so handy. Good luck with it all, and let us know when you're settled in! ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Personally when I moved two years ago from a house to an apartment I priced cardboard boxes as well as plastic and considering the price difference it was a better deal to go with reusable plastic bins.

I ended up buying about 30 of these to pack up all the books and dishes and whatsits for the move and afterwards I stored them at my brother's garage. They are stackable so they take very little room and thus I have them for whenever the next time I might have to move.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.mini-flip-tote-redclear-26-l.1000177842.html

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.flip-top-storage-tote-in-clear-with-red-lid-49-l.1000440958.html

I sealed them with a tape gun and labelled them all as to contents but as a bonus they are clear plastic so they made it even easier to see what was inside without having to open them up when I was unpacking them/

Gary ;)

Reaction score
For the last move we sold or donated a mass of kit.

The day before the move I hired a box wagon with a tail lift and loaded all our garden furniture, the garden plants we had in tubs, all our garden tools and the garage contents. The 5m x 3m internal area was full.

This left the Removal Company to clear and load up the house and then drive 1/2 mile to our new bungalow to offload.

The bungalow owners let us offload the tail lift into the garage before the cash transfer took place then whilst I took the van back to the hire company the Removers did the offload.

Certainly made the move far easier, the problem being the bloodsucking Lawyers holding up the cash transfers whilst they had their long lunch. It was four hours before our cash was received after our buyer had received their cash.

At least the bottle of wine, glasses, cutlery and two microwave meals were in the box marked ..... open this first ....... it was the last one on the Removal Van.

As stressfree as we could possibly make it.

Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice and encouragement. Luckily we have a week left and 75% is gone and in the new house.
Lucky for us when we sold our house and moved into the apartment we are now moving from we rented a storage garage (10X20) and store A LOT of stuff in there, where it will stay until we reach the final retirement destination.
I have a couple good friends, with young backs, that have been great... Music area is set up and I take a few mins a day just to sit with that and here some sounds. It relaxes. Anyway, I will be in here with you all now and then till the move is over and then back with a vengeance when done,,, can't wait. JOe

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Having helped an inlaw move a bloody refrigerator up to a third story walkup I can attest that a pizza and beer is a piss poor repayment for a lifelong spinal injury :p

I learned the hard way.

NEVER HELP ANYONE MOVE!!!!

Gary :mad:

Reaction score
My Mrs and I have only been together for 10 years and when she moved her kit in my house she arranged for some handymen she knew to move her the 40 miles to my home.

They arrived 3 hours late at her house in a flat bed pickup truck.

What happens if it rains she asked

... we stop under a bridge. :)

Was their response.

Reaction score
I am lucky with friends offering, not even me asking. It will be a nice lunch at the club when we're all said and done.
(PS, my wife and I call a restaurant at a small golf course we go to all the time "Our Club" when we tell our friends.)

We will wrap the move up this weekend, then, clean the old Apt and start putting things in place at the new house.

Reaction score
Ugh, I'm to old for this stuff. One load tonight and last trip tomorrow.....:)

Reaction score
Best of luck! Only advice (probably too late) but for anyone else in MN, NEVER HIRE Action Movers (I don't know where you live). High prices and they broke a TON of stuff, BEFORE it was put into the boxes (evident by the fact that the pieces are scattered between boxes), stuff that would have been difficult to break.

Reaction score
Moving sucks! It'll be worth it in the end though, so I hope it all goes smoothly. My favourite gadget for packing boxes is a tape gun, they're so handy. Good luck with it all, and let us know when you're settled in! ;)
Well settled in finally. Now the only problems is, home for 2 days from work with......dang FLU...
My poor keyboard is set up, all hooked up and I want nothing to do with it right now. Oh well, maybe it had something to do with wearing myself down.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Suck down a half a bottle of Nyquil, take a hot bath, and crawl under a warm comforter for two days or until moss starts to grow between your toes.

Patented old world Canadian Flu and Cold remedy. :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question