MOX8 in File Mode

Reaction score
Hi Just got a Yamaha MOX8. Love it.
There's a USB input for it to read midi files from a flash dricve.

I've loaded a midi file on the flash drive. I plug in the flash drive and it is read into memory. But, it doesn't show the file.

I know it's on the FD. Also it has data 76k. It was made from FL Studio 10.

Is there more than one Midi file format that Yamaha reads?

Thanks for any advice.

Reaction score
I just went there and downloaded then installed this driver
Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.6.1 for Windows (64bit)

I restarted the keys. I went back to the File mode and where it says 'Type' and next to it is the hilighted option 'All'. I turned the dial and the 'All' started scrolling. I saw the midi file on my flash drive under 'Song' and 'Pattern'.

Now, I'm trying to get it to play. But, that should be easy now that I can see it on the FD.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Spoke too soon. I have the file the viewer it has a play button. when i push it it says 'illegal file'...it's just a drum midi that i created and exported. Maybe I have to play it somewhere else.
I'll keep trying.

Reaction score
I finally got a midi file it can 'read'. I imported a midi file and loaded it into a slot in my Song mode section. I played it and it's the right midi notes. but it is playing piano notes. It's drum pattern so that's a problem. So, I thought maybe because it's in Song Mode is the problem. I loaded it into a slot in the Pattern mode. But when I go to select it it says no data.
I'm sure it's something i'm not doing in the export or setup. just not sure what.
off to the help menus.

thanks for any help you have.

Reaction score
Okay, I did get a call back from Yamaha tech peeps. He talked to me about how to load and save the midi data.

The original problem was I didn't turn the dial selector, thus didn't see the midi file. now i know everything hi lighted is changeable.

So, I brought in the midi file and he kinda explained how to assign a voice to the midi notes. I got it to work in song mode, but not pattern mode.

He sent me an email that I'm about to go over on how to assign the voice to midi files.

For performance, I've decided that if I have a drum beat for a song i've already created, I"ll play that from my computer. Otherwise I can recreate everything else on the keyboards.

The tech guy said the firmware update wouldn't effect midi. i was like. okay. but, i'm glad i updated that though.

Thanks for all your advice Y-Man! It's been really helpful.

Rock on everyone!

i love my MOX. I like that it has an input with some basic effects for my vocals too. I haven't used it in practice yet. So, i'll have to see how it comes out then. but, seems like it could save me a couple hundred bucks for buying a voice effect box for my vocals.

Ask a Question