Multi audiotrack recording keyboard?

Reaction score
Thats my question. Are there keyboards with multi audiotrack recording possibilities?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Yes there are.

You will need to give us more info on budget and what you want by way of the number of keys, keybed type, onboard speakers, manufacturer preferences etc.

Reaction score
Thanks for answering Biggles.
I was thinking around 1000 euro's, 61 keys, touch sensitive, good sounds, onboard speakers about 15 watt.
I tried a Google search but did not find products. I have been looking at

Yamaha PSR-SX700,​

but i think it has no multitrack audiorecording?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The correct term you are looking for is MULTI TIMBRAL voicing.

ie. The ability of a keyboard to record and play back multiple instruments on multiple channels at the same time.

Almost any modern workstation or arranger can do this.

Just check the specs to see if it's poly timbral or multitimbral and how many simultaneous instruments it can do max at a time.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
No i mean what is said. I need multiple AUDIO tracks to record on. So i have a sequence and i record a singer on one track. Next i want to record another singer to sing the second voice. Then 3 guys or girls singing backing vocals etc.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Then you need a multitrack recorder like a Tascam or a Zoom or a DAW to record with. Keyboards don't usually record audio.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
For what you want to achieve either a standalone recorder as per Gary’s suggestion or a Computer based system using a DAW or software like Audacity, or Sound Forge.

I think that you can achieve what you want on a Korg PA700.

If you watch Steve McNally in the linked Korg Video Manual tutorial you will see and hear him recording vocal audio on the Korg which has 16 track recording capabilities as you will see in the video.

There are nine video tutorials in the series, which if you watch them all it will give you an idea of the way the Korg functions.

IMO it is a far more capable keyboard than the Yamaha SX with better quality voices and features.

Reaction score
I actually haven't seen the term multitimbral voicing to describe multitrack recording on a keyboard. Lots of keyboards include the ability to have 16 timbres on 16 MIDI channels (which I think would qualify as mutitimbral voicing)... in fact any GM compatible board can do this, but that does not mean they include sequencers with the ability to overdub one part over another. But yes, any board called a "workstation" can do it, as can many boards called "arrangers" since they often also incoporate "workstation" functions.

But to the issue at hand of wanting to include AUDIO tracks along with your sequenced instruments, that has gotten more rare, I guess as people have moved to computers for that. Korg Kronos does 16 MIDI tracks + 16 audio tracks, but is out of the price range, and has no on-board speakers. An inexpensive older keyboard that might do what you want is the Roland Juno G, which supported 4 stereo audio tracks in it sequences, along with its 16 MIDI tracks. (Still no speakers included, though.)

Reaction score
Ok, Thank you all for answering. The Korg PA 700 was my first choice but i dont think it has the posibility for multiple audio tracks, I'll look at the video though. If not, i think i will buy the PA 700 and record additional voices with audacity on the computer. I will look for Kronos info and the Roland Juno, but the sounds of the PA 700 are so beautiful, i have to agree with Biggles more then Yamaha SX, so i think i have made my choice.
Thanks again.:)

Reaction score
I will look for Kronos info and the Roland Juno

The Juno would have to be the G, I don't think any other Juno had this function. Other older keyboards that I could do this include Roland Fantom G and I'm pretty sure Yamaha Motif XF.

Ask a Question