Multi-Channel Mode on SP6?

Reaction score
How do I get multi-channel mode on SP6?

I've got the Kurzweil running MIDI channels 1-3, in three different Logic tracks (piano, synth, bass) but when I fade one of them in Logic, it fades all three—in other words, it's impossible to mix without first bouncing to audio.

How do I set SP6 to a multi-channel mode where it can allow individual fading?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
How are you fading the tracks in Logic? Do you have an external MIDI controller whose physical faders are mapped to the virtual faders in Logic? If so, what sort of MIDI data is being used? Are the faders mapped to control the overall volume, or the volumes of the specific channels? MIDI has a SysEx message that changes the overall volume of the device-- that is, it changes the volume of all channels at once-- but MIDI also has a Channel Volume message that changes the volume of just the specified channel. Which type of message is being sent by each fader, and/or which type of message has been mapped to each fader's signal in Logic?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

-I am fading the tracks using the volume sliders for each track.

-I am not using an external MIDI controller with physical faders for the channels.

-I'm not sure how or where to check whether the message being sent is SysEx or Channel Volume.

Any ideas?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Logic, but if you're using the individual faders on the individual tracks-- as opposed to the fader on the master track-- then I would hope they're programmed to affect only their own tracks.

Also, I'm not sure whether they're sending MIDI messages back to the Kurzweil to change the Channel Volume or Master Volume (which I don't think they should be doing if the MIDI tracks are playing virtual instruments), or whether they're simply changing the output volumes of the virtual instruments (which is what I think they ought to be doing).

Can you use a MIDI monitor to see whether moving the sliders has any effect on the Note velocities coming from the Kurzweil? If it does, then the sliders must be sending either channel or system messages back to the Kurzweil telling it to change the Volume settings. In that case, you could also try to monitor the MIDI going to the Kurzweil to see what's being sent by the sliders. Most DAWs include MIDI monitor features, so hopefully you'll be able to do that in Logic without having to involve any additional apps.

Ask a Question