multiple keyboards

Reaction score
If you have one keyboard, what's the point of having two or more? Do you just hook each of them up to a separate amp and keep them at the gig for multiple sounds? (piano, organ, synth parts?)

Can you hook them up in a series via audio or MIDI cables and get all the effects /sounds to work together? Can you get twice as many layers/polyphony?

A newby wants to know. (Still have only ONE keyboard.)

Reaction score
hehehe... it didn't make any sense to me either when I started playing.

The thing is some keyboards are better for a particular range of sounds.
For example... Yamaha has brilliant pianos and acoustics while Korg has great
strings and pads.

When on live gig, I often need to switch between sounds very quickly, and
I manage my way just fine, but if I had another keyboard it would be much easier
since I'd put 2-3 most used sounds on it.

oh yea... and it's easier to find a sound that resembles the most the original one
when you have more sounds to choose from :)

Reaction score
When on live gig, I often need to switch between sounds very quickly, and
I manage my way just fine, but if I had another keyboard it would be much easier
since I'd put 2-3 most used sounds on it.

that's what I thought. That seems to be the biggest weakness of ALL keyboards... the difficulty of switching /accessing different sounds. It's only important if you're playing live I spose.

Reaction score
When on live gig, I often need to switch between sounds very quickly,

So each keybd is hooked up to its own amp? Or is there a way of connecting them with cables?

What about MIDI? What is "Midi Thru"?

Reaction score
Hi Laura,

Midi thru is nothing more than a mirror image or "exact copy" of midi IN...with midi thru you can hook multiple boards and midi components together and "control" them from one source (such as a midi controller or main keyboard)...In your last post you would need the "output" of each midi device going to some sort of speaker system in order to hear it....although there are different ways to do it, the answer is YES, you do need them all hooked up to "some kind" of speaker system usually

Keyplayer

Reaction score
that's what I thought. That seems to be the biggest weakness of ALL keyboards... the difficulty of switching /accessing different sounds. It's only important if you're playing live I spose.

no...that's not it :D

You have "performance mode" on Yamaha and "combi mode" on KORG keyboards where you save your songs for the gig in order of playing.

All you have to do is press the "NEXT" button and you're whole keyboard
is ready for the next song.

What I had in mind is more possibilities... For example... I use piano sounds
VERY often. If I had a second keyboard i wouldn't be using tracks on the
first one for putting piano sounds into my performance mode.

I'd set up one of my keyboards on a piano preset and won't bother
with that sound group on the other one. It doesn't speed up things much
while on the gig, as much as it speeds up things while you setup your
keyboard(s) at home for the songs you intend to play

Reaction score
I would have to agree that switching sounds is pretty hard on all keyboards. For the kind of music I play, i have to change to a different patch really fast and it is very difficult. For one song i am using 6 or 7 different patches on my korg alone. I have to cycle through 3 different sounds, then back to the first one all while continuously playing. Even though I have programmed them in my own bank, there is no way for me to line them up. I am also using my yamaha cp33 as a piano and my sh-201 for a lead synth sound. Definitely useful having more than one.

Reaction score
seems logical that with multiple keyboards we would have multiple choices...I like that! Also being able to play piano on one hand and strings on another from different sources, more sounds. And in my case I wanted a way better organ sound, so I added a Hammond digi-organ and mechanical rotor to my setup, this is a very good reason to have a keyboard amp with 3-4 channels to plug your different keys into, I use 3 stereo channels for 2 keyboards.

Ask a Question