Musescore

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just tested the linux version. It's been years since I've played with musescore (3 or 4 years ago it was buggy as hell)

Anyway, I had no problems importing MID files ranging from simple one track piano pieces to a fully scored version of Birdland.

Could you elaborate on the difficulties you are having?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Test it out with a few different songs. I've seen some MIDIs with 4 or 5 Instrument channels all recorded into the same track.

Bear in mind that in MIDI each track does not always equal a different channel.

Reaction score
1st check to see if the midi file is format 0 or format 1.
Format 0 puts all of the tracks into 1 track and that makes a mess when trying to edit the file or import it into musescore.
Format 1 separates the tracks. If you don't know which format the file is, use Anvil Studio (it is freeware) to load the midi file. If it is a format 0, anvil studio will convert it to format 1 before it loads it. Once it is loaded, you can save as... a different name and it will be saved in format 1.
I use anvil studio just for this reason. Once it is loaded, it is also very easy to adjust the panning and volume of the individual tracks, then I save it and use Aria Maestosa (also freeware) to do the final editing.
I have used many midi editors, but find aria maestosa the quickest and easiest to use.

Ask a Question