Music I'd like to share

Reaction score
I have just completed an 8 year project converting notes to numbers on 500+ golden oldies which I would love to share.

This has been a hobby which I started for my 80th birthday, learning how to play the piano. Now at 88 I would like to share copies of the songs. The songs are free, all I would need is the cost of postage, paper and ink etc..

What would be the best way to do it?

Marty

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi @ellienmarty, welcome to the forum :)

Where are you in the world? Have you checked whether copyright restrictions apply? You cannot copy or distribute material subject to copyright I'm afraid.

Reaction score
Hi @ellienmarty, welcome to the forum :)

Where are you in the world? Have you checked whether copyright restrictions apply? You cannot copy or distribute material subject to copyright I'm afraid.
Hi Becky,
This is not intended to be a grand commercial enterprise, just something that will let me share my interest in playing piano with others, it would be nice to get mail from people I have something in common with.

Reaction score
Hi Becky,
This is not intended to be a grand commercial enterprise, just something that will let me share my interest in playing piano with others, it would be nice to get mail from people I have something in common with.

Unfortunately the size of the operation doesn't matter, in most countries only the owner of the copyright is authorised to copy and distribute the material. You will need to check the laws that apply in your country, then check whether each item is copyrighted.

Sorry to be pedantic, but if you are
distributing copyrighted material then I could get in trouble for giving you a platform to do so.

Reaction score
Unfortunately the size of the operation doesn't matter, in most countries only the owner of the copyright is authorised to copy and distribute the material. You will need to check the laws that apply in your country, then check whether each item is copyrighted.

Sorry to be pedantic, but if you are
distributing copyrighted material then I could get in trouble for giving you a platform to do so.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
This has been a hobby which I started for my 80th birthday, learning how to play the piano. Now at 88

Welcome to the forum Marty. At 80 you started playing piano and now in just 8 years you have 500+ songs under your belt:eek: ! Really?
That is amazing. Well done.
How have you converted notes to numbers? How does this work?
Ray

Reaction score
Hello Marty, Nice to see you on the forum. I very much endorse sentiments expressed by Ray. Look forward to an explanation of how you convert notes to numbers and what advantages you see in doing so.

Kind Regards,
Rafferty

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Marty. At 80 you started playing piano and now in just 8 years you have 500+ songs under your belt:eek: ! Really?
That is amazing. Well done.
How have you converted notes to numbers? How does this work?
Ray
Sorry for not replying sooner. I still haven't figured out how this forum thing works.
It's not rocket science but it is time consuming (over 1670 hours).
Right hand, C = 1, D = 2, E = 3 and so forth.
Left hand are letters for the chords: B, A, G, F, E, D, C. I type out the lyrics first and place the notes above the word. I can play all of the songs in my collection to my satisfaction. I'll never make it as a professional piano player but at my age who cares?
My wife and I were on a British Isles tour with a bus load of Aussies that were mostly from the sheep stations, we had the most fun of any trip.

Reaction score
I figured he must mean MIDI Note values, but that's just a wild guess and could be wildly off. :)
Sorry for not replying sooner. I still haven't figured out how this forum thing works.
It's not rocket science but it is time consuming (over 1670 hours).
Right hand, C = 1, D = 2, E = 3 and so forth.
Left hand are letters for the chords: B, A, G, F, E, D, C. I type out the lyrics first and place the notes above the word. I can play all of the songs in my collection to my satisfaction. I'll never make it as a professional piano player but at my age who cares?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
. I can play all of the songs in my collection to my satisfaction.
That's great Marty. Learning a tune and being able to play it is so rewarding.
I am a little bit younger than you but evenso took up keyboard late in life (my mid fifties) Now I am 66 and some of my biggest thrills in life are music achievements.
No matter what methods you use as long as it works for you and enjoyable.
The number system developed by you sounds practical. However, having learnt to read the staffes it would be pointless reverting or changing courses for me (late in life . lol)
Thanks for the offer to share your music but I decine to accept anyway for the above reason regardless of copyright. But sincerely I say to you thanks man!
My wife and I were on a British Isles tour with a bus load of Aussies that were mostly from the sheep stations, we had the most fun of any trip.
So you gathered I am an Aussie. I don't know any sheep station farmers. They mostly live in the remote country outback of Australia. I am a city boy. But still if I was on your bus i would have joined in.
Thanks for sharing Marty.
Ray

Reaction score
Becky you are beautiful, my wife thanks you for keeping me out of trouble. If the songs are in the public domain (USA) could I still be in jeopardy?

Sorry for the late reply! I see you are in the USA, and I don't know much about their copyright rules, but I assume if the copyright has expired then there shouldn't be a problem :)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It might also depend on whether the music is for classical pieces or popular modern pieces.

I think that when a music publisher copyrights a piece of classical music, they are not copyrighting the piece itself, but instead are copyrighting the specific arrangement which they're publishing. In a case like that, it's probably okay for someone to publish a simplified arrangement that's in a completely different format-- in this case, letters for the left-hand chords and numbers for the right-hand melody notes.

But if it's a popular modern composition that's protected by copyright, then it probably isn't safe to publish even a simplified letters-and-numbers version.

Ask a Question