Musical Newb

Reaction score
Hi members,

I am completely new to anything musically related. For years and years and I have always wanted to to learn how to play a keyboard, this is the first time I've actually even registered on a musical related forum. I'm hoping to get answers because I always talk myself out of taking the next step and I don't know if this is the first of many to come but I listen to users demonstrate these amazing digital keyboards and synths and I'm sort of mesmerized.

I recently been ogling over the Roland Juno Di, literally drooling, and trying to figure out what is involved with such a purchase, what all is needed to actually get started etc. Can it connect to my home stereo system, those types of questions. I started looking at the Yamaha PSR-E433 and now I'm starting to budget for say the Juno Di or Gi, can't seem to stop or rather don't know here to stop because I'm thinking for a little bit more I can have this and it sounds awesome on YouTube etc...

I'm in serious need of direction, I've never touch a piano or keyboard before, not even hitting a key ever. Any help would greatly be appreciated before I break the bank and make a really bad purchase.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
With the proper cabling and adapters you can connect a Juno Di or Gi to a home stereo system. The signals are all line level so they are electrically compatible.

All you really need are a couple of TRS 1/4" Mono plugs to Mono RCA cables. About 10 ft. would be a good length for home use.

This is assuming that your home stereo is good quality. A crappy boom box kind of arrangement might not have enough dynamic headroom to cover the Roland's output.

A better arrangement though, would be to hook it thru a cheap mixer like a Behringer Xenyx 502 or Xenyx 1002FX and run the tape out of the stereo thru the mixer as well and input the output from that to the Tape 2 monitor if your stereo has one.

I have an arrangement like that on my home studio and it allows me to listen to radio or CDs as I play along on my keyboards.

Other basics you'd require are a good quality stand for the keyboard, I recommend either a Quicklok or an Onstage model and a piano stool or any half decent bar stool will do in a pinch.

Finally you'd need a 10 ft. USB AB printer cable if you plan to hook up to your computer as well as any DAW or sequencer software if you plan to record at home. If you use a mixer you can hook the keyboard directly to your computer's soundcard thru the RCA outputs with Stereo RCA cable. (Again 10 ft is a good length)

And last of all you'd need a good musical ear, a few beginners books on method and musical theory and it wouldn't hurt to spring for a few lessons. ;)

That, would be your basic starter kit to set up for home playing and recording.

Enjoy! Get it on sale while they last. You know you want to :D :D :D

Happy Holidays,

Gary

Reaction score
Thank you Happyrat1, yeah the Di is on special right now for $599 so seems like a pretty good deal. I did just set up an Onyko TX-NR414 receiver with some Polkaudios so hopefully they would work.

Im going to find out if they will throw in a stand or something extra.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
To further clarify. Here's a simplified block diagram of my home setup.

studio-flowchart.jpg
Also I'd say if you really do love synth sounds and wish to learn how to play, don't cheap out on your first instrument. It adds that much more enjoyment to have a great assortment of good sounds.

Other keyboards you might want to take a look at these days include the Korg Kross either the 61, the 76 or the 88 key models; and the Yamaha MM6 or MM8.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, it depends on what style of music you wish to learn, but if you are aiming at playing proper piano style, then 88 weighted hammer action keys are a must have.

Not so much so for synth and organ style playing though. :)

Reaction score
Thanks again, sweet setup you have. I tend to over spend but i think it more of a waste if i buy a cheap 200-300 keyboard, at least if i stick to something a bit better my growing into period will be much longer.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually if you're very much into synth sounds, take a closer look at the Casio XW-P1 and Casio XW-G1. They've been out a couple of years now and some places are selling them at a heavy discount right now.

I love my P1 for all the funky synth sounds built in and the incredible programmability of the step sequencer and synth sounds.

They're selling around $400 right now here in Canada, but if you can find a dealer in your country who does price matches you might score a deal.

http://www.axemusic.com/store/produ...Monophonic-Solo-Synth-and-Drawbar-Organ-Mode/

http://www.axemusic.com/store/produ...d-Six-Oscillator-Monophonic-Solo-Synthesizer/

Reaction score
Actually i like all kinds of music but i tend to prefer remix style of music, like aviccii but do like the idea you can replicate soft piano styles.

Reaction score
I think where i get confused is the difference when an instrument is a synthesizer or digital keyboard because watching the demos on them they seem to have the same abilities.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually there's Workstations, Arrangers, Synthesizers, Digital Pianos, all different classifications with lots of crossovers in between.

Take a look at this thread to explain the differences for a newb.

https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/the-which-keyboard-should-i-get-overview-read-first.21974/

Also, you should plug in a few of the synths I mentioned into Youtube to get an idea of how they sound before you pull the trigger and buy one.

While it's always nice to own the best of the best, there are ways to find some real gems for half the money if you do your homework and shop around a bit.

Gary

Reaction score
Thank you Gary, now i just came across the Roland BK-3 LOL. I'll check out those Casios.

Darryl

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hey Hey Neighbour!!! If yer in or around the big smoke drop in for coffee sometime :)

My suggestions would tend to run with the Korg Kross Line (Also super light and battery powered) or the Casio XW line. Hell, treat yourself, get both! :D

As for Axe Music, I've bought a lot of gear from them over the years. They ship in about 5 days from Edmonton and I've never had a complaint with them. One DOA had to be shipped back and they ate the return shipping costs without so much as a quibble. And they generally do the best deals in Canada with price matches and free shipping to boot.

You could do a lot worse than buying from them.

Gary

Reaction score
I have a local shop that has some good offerings, that Korg Kross is one beautiful machine, but that one is definitely out of my budget. The Casios look nice but ive never been a fan of any of products so i'm a bit apprehensive even to consider them. Not sure if its the Youtube demos but the Korg Kronos seem to have a much smoother tone over both the Roland Juno Di and Gi i listened to, sounded fuller if that makes sense.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Korg Kronos is indeed a lovely machine, but being the flagship of the current Korg line it sells between $3K and $5K new, fully loaded.

Comparing it to the sub $1000 machines I listed is like comparing caviar to tapioca :D :D :D

Anyway, I'm just spitballing here. My best advice is to check out all the web reviews and youtube video reviews first, then visit a few music shops to get a feel for each keyboard on your short list and then find the best deal you can for a price you can live with.

And don't forget the used market as well. Keyboards typically lose between a third and half their value after they've been on the market for a few years, and you can pick up something like a used Korg Triton or M3 88 for about the same money as a new Kross 88.

If you search your local Craigslist and Kijiji for a few weeks, you may come up with something gently used that another player grew tired of or gave up on which never left a home studio.

You could literally have something that sounds almost as good as a Kronos for about a third of the money should you decide to go that route. Even the Kronos has been around long enough now to begin turning up on the used market. I fully expect Korg to launch something new this coming January at the next NAMM show.

Food for thought anyway :)

Gary

Reaction score
So many choices, eh? Looks like Gary well and truly buried you in info, so you'll have plenty of that to digest. ;)

If you're new to music, the piano is the right place to start. I was blessed with parents who 'enforced' piano lessons on me at a very young age (4!), and while I hated it at the time I am really glad they did it. So...

If you really want to learn to play, find a good teacher. You aren't going to learn proper technique (sufficient to please your own ear, let alone others) using online tutorials or books. And my recommendation would be to find yourself a decent, 88-key digital piano with a built-in MIDI interface and weighted/graded keys. I have a Korg SP250, which has a broad range of built-in 'voices', and can be found used for $300-500 in good condition.

Good luck with all these choices! ;)

:cool:

Reaction score
Yeah so many choices, im pretty sure anything would work for me but i really like that Korg Kross 61, super portable and its customizable but it does with a big price tag for a beginner. There are a ton of Triton LE's on Kijiji. Although i have lots of time to decide im very impulsive so don't be surprised if you see a post with a pic of my new instrument. Lol

Ask a Question