My Beginner Training Regime

Reaction score
At first i was going to use Gigajam to learn, which seemed the best option for cost alone. The other day i registered my Yamaha P45 and like @Biggles said, i got 3 months of Flowkey Premium for free. So to supplement my music reading and also practice i bought the Hanon book and one with Chords and Arpeggio's. It feels a bit of a grind sometimes but overall things are progressing and i am learning all the time, some of the exercises are great for finger strength and it seems to be the book that i always want to use. Cutting things down into sections or bars seems to help me move on a lot faster and i use Hanon as a way yo warm up.

Reaction score
Take a look at this thread for training routine ideas

Reaction score
Thanks for this link @Biggles i found it quite interesting especially the key landmarks method. My fingers are a bit swollen due to some medication i am taking so finding it hard to practice which is annoying atm. I am just reading and learning music to fill the gaps where i would be practising, getting old now so it's good to keep the mind a bit more active rather than sitting watching TV.

Reaction score
Yes I know what you mean about fingers.

I suffer from arthrytis especially in my fingers and playing my Les Paul is now very difficult. Barre chords are impossible as my worst affected fingers are the middle two on my left hand as my ring finger. Hence when I try to play a Barre my ring finger can now only reach the next fret.

Keyboard playing is helpful but even then I cannot move my fingers fast enough for runs up/fown the keyboardn especially with the left hand.

It is one reason why I like Arrangers, the left hand has an easier time with chords and button pushing.

Getting old sucks.

Reaction score
Doctor rang me yesterday morning, i know Saturday Morning and i was shocked as well. He said they had received some photo's of my fingers from my heart nurse who said she was going to get in touch with them for me. They have got so bad the past few days that i haven't been able to so anything even typing on my computer was sore and uncomfortable. Anyway he put me on anti-histamine tablets and some hydro-cortisone cream as well, although they are not perfect at the moment they are a damn sight better. I should be able to get back onto the Yamaha in the next day or two hopefully with a touch of Guitar and Banjo thrown in. It's amazing how much you appreciate things when you can't use them.

Reaction score
Sorry to read of you woes.

Hope that your issues improve as soon as possible.

I use one of these to help with my fingers flexibility, maybe one will help in your rehab.

Attachments

• D5592E7B-DEFE-4C95-B6CD-BD9D75F52EFA.jpeg
    D5592E7B-DEFE-4C95-B6CD-BD9D75F52EFA.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 56
Reaction score
Thanks for that @Biggles but it wouldn't have helped as they were blistered and swollen at the joints, They are getting alot better and should be tickling the ivory's in the next day or two.

Ask a Question