My favourite all time band

Reaction score
Well beyond a shadow of a doubt. I freaking LOVE the Who! I love the writing, the lyrics, the vibrancy and just the overall sound of the band. When it comes right down to it, it my estimation the only better band was the Beatles. But I only say that because that was the band that got me into playing rock and roll. Truly it was. In 1964 when I saw them on the Ed Sullivan tv show, I really figured out what I wanted to do. Yeah, I know it sounds ridiculous but at the the time at at that day and age, it was reallity. I hated the boring soulless music of my parents. I was frustrated but I didn't know why. Maybe constipation? All I know is that way back then rock and roll made me feel good. But it wasn't too long before I felt like the old rock and roll wasn't cutting it anymore. It just didn't have the agression that I was looking for. Then one day I heard the song, "I can see for miles" and that was it! The power! The anger! The frustration! That song ,axe sense to me at my young age of 14 or so. Maybe 13.

The Beatles opened up a door it the Who kicked my backside and made me ROCK!
Then, I heard Deep Purple, and Emerson Lake and Palmer. I have never looked back since!
I hope yo enjoy this little thing. I don't agree with all of it but it is a good read.

Reaction score
A great choice Jeremy.

You are certainly right about The Who, but as my Brother is a few years older than I it was Rock n Roll in our house, Bill Haley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, and of course the King himself.

Over here in the UK we then had in the early sixties the cheesey pop drivel until one night on our own regional TV channel that we just happened to be watching at the time a certain group from Liverpool was on and then the world changed.

It is The Beatles and George Harrison in particular who generated my interest in music. Then it developed with The Yardbirds, Cream, The Who who were My Generation but the outstanding sixties band for me was The Kinks such is the power of Ray Davis’s lyrics that his music is part of many University courses today.

Come the seventies and in addition to ELP, it was Yes, and one of if not the greatest band of all time, Led Zepplin, with music by Free, Black Sabbath and sort of strangely The Carpenters. I just have to hear Karen Carpenters voice and its sheer bliss, I am so fortunate to see and hear her live on their last ever tour.

The eighties were my Classical period that have extended right up to the present day.

Well that is more than enough from me.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I was stoned on drugs and listening to ELP and Pink Floyd when I was a teen. :D

They are the ones who started off my interest in keyboards.

The only instrument my dad was willing to buy me was an accordion... o_O

I took a pass... :p

On my 18th birthday I bought myself a silver Yamaha Boehm Flute...

It was over a decade later when I could finally afford to buy myself my first keyboard :)

The rest is musical infamy ... :rolleyes:

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
The Who were indeed high on my play list in the 60's and 70's.
I must admit I did not own any Who albums in the early years. I did have a couple of singles however.
LP's were very expensive for a 16 year old just starting work.
I saved hard for my first albums . Disraeli Gears, Are you Experienced, This Was, Black Sabbath etc.
My first Who album I bought was inot until 74 . . Quadrophenia. This was so far underrated. Superb music. I did see one song from the album made the list (Jeremy's OP above).

Other early year favs for me . . Ten Years After, John Mayall, Yes, ELP, heaps more. .

Ray

Reaction score
And then one day, after many many years, things changed. Although I still love many of the bands from my youth,
I now find myself once again searching for new and exciting ones like what I had known before.
I discovered new bands! New sounds! Sounds that made me feel the way I did years ago!
Way

Reaction score
Oops!
Way back when I was young. These new bands sound similar to the old ones but also fresher, with ew ideas and sounds. Bands like Spock's Beard, Dream Theater, and the Devin Townsend Project.
Sorry for the late night rambling.
Can't sleep and need to let stuff out.
Love you all!

Reaction score
Oops!
Way back when I was young. These new bands sound similar to the old ones but also fresher, with ew ideas and sounds. Bands like Spock's Beard, Dream Theater, and the Devin Townsend Project.
Sorry for the late night RAMBLING

Can't sleep and need to let stuff out.
Love you all!

Ramble On.

One of the all time grets

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I recorded the Who's 50-year anniversary concert in Hyde Park on our DVR when it aired a year or two ago on AXS TV. I love it! I've watched it several times since I recorded it, and whereas I generally delete the movies and TV shows I record after I've watched them, I was planning to keep this one for as long as we have our DVR (which belongs to AT&T, our cable provider). However, seeing as how it's available on DVD and Blu-ray, I'll probably buy it on Blu-ray so I can go ahead and delete the recording.

I thought it was kind of funny how much I love watching that concert, considering that the Who didn't always play the songs note-for-note the way they were recorded on their albums, and one of the things that used to drive me bonkers in my youth was when my favorite bands would perform their hits live and there were differences between the live performances and the recorded versions. Sacrilege! Maybe I'm more mellow in my old age, or maybe I just gave up hope of ever hearing a live performance that duplicated the studio recordings exactly. In any case, I absolutely love the energy and the interplay between the musicians-- not just Pete and Roger, but the other musicians as well. And I'm pretty sure Roger changed some of the lyrics of the songs, but they work. :)

I have a few old song books of the Who's music, such as the song book for Tommy, the song book for Quadrophenia, and a song book that includes songs from Who's Next and a few other albums. Who's Next was the first Who album I ever heard, and it got me hooked on them. Tommy was also an ageless classic, although I didn't care very much for the movie. On the other hand, the Quadrophenia movie was great!

Reaction score
I bought the Quadrophenia vinyl album when it first cane out and practically wore it out.

The Who at their best.

In the sixies The Who played on one of our Piers (I lived in a seaside town at that time) and for some reason Pete Townsend never showed up so Roger Daltry found a local guitarist and the guy who stood in for the concert.

Ask a Question