My first orchestral song - Feedback!

Reaction score
This is my very first orchestral experience whatsoever, actually... I've never played in a orchestra, I've never studied orchestration, and I've barely actually listened to orchestral music by my own free will. I just got very inspired by a friend of mine who's been doing this for a while, and I wanted to give it a try. So, here's the results:

I've recently received some hints and such from this friend of mine, and I'm intending to try some more orchestrations in the future. So any feedback is welcome! :D

EDIT: I'm well aware that I screwed up the timing at some places, so no need to point that out ^.^

Reaction score
I have one word for you - panning :)

I used to do the same "mistake" a while back while recording tons of instruments.

Never have all of them at the center of your sound... Pan some of them L, some of them R, and balance the amount of different sounds at the same time.

For example, violins 30-40% L, and harps 30-40% R.
If you get it right - the same song will sound much much better. Try it :)

Apart from that, the already mentioned tempo... you could've set some
of the sounds in a combi and play them all at once so you don't have to
record everything over and over again.

Keep it up :)

Reaction score
Thanks for replying :)

About the panning - I am actually familiar with the panning stuff, but I usually only record in Mono, but this time I decided to record in Stereo, and for some reason I thought that you couldn't pan a stereo track (which I recently saw you could), so I didn't even try <.<

Actually, I intentionally avoided putting several sounds in one combi, since I wanted to be able to fix some stuff in the computer (volume levels and EQ primarily) so I didn't want to be stuck having several things in the same track, ruining my chances to even out the levels and stuff.

Reaction score
You know - M50 has a 3 band EQ per track in combi/seq mode? :)

same goes for paning and velocity

Reaction score
Uhm, yeah.... true.... >.<

But it's easier to hear those things after you've recorded, I've noticed. But you do very much have a point :)

Reaction score
This is my very first orchestral experience whatsoever, actually... I've never played in a orchestra, I've never studied orchestration, and I've barely actually listened to orchestral music by my own free will. I just got very inspired by a friend of mine who's been doing this for a while, and I wanted to give it a try. So, here's the results:

I've recently received some hints and such from this friend of mine, and I'm intending to try some more orchestrations in the future. So any feedback is welcome! :D

EDIT: I'm well aware that I screwed up the timing at some places, so no need to point that out ^.^

hello sir.....
Jinal, Gujarat, India....
how r u ?
i have purchased a casio ctk 810IN keyboard......its cost me to 10,000 Rs......
i m learning keyboard......i likes its indian tones and rythams....

i wants to ask that can i add more tones from computer or another keyboard to this keyboard ?
thank you
Thank you....

Reaction score
I like it. Especially the cymbals at 1:39!
The choral sounds remind me of the Legend of Zelda for the super nintendo (don't know if you know that game?)
Harps sound good, as do the full string sections.
Alan

Reaction score
Sargas,

Inspiration is the first step to trying something that most people wouldn't dare to, just because most people often think that "they can't do it."

You are right in tracking everything seperately because then you can concentrate on each track without getting "distracted".

Here's something to help you out with the pan positions:

https://smartsite.ucdavis.edu/access/content/group/59bdf0b4-ad07-473e-8050-fe67d7119d35/Music10/00Images/Instruments/orchestr.gif

Print it , hang it up in your studio and refer to it often. BTW you can pan your harp to the same position as the grand piano in the layout!

You'll have to figure out how you want your pan numbers to match up with your instruments.If you need help let me know.

Often the best way to handle your mix for orchestra is to get all of your instruments pan postions set-Then, if something sounds too loud in the mix, you can adjust the volume (not velocity) accordingly.

I am going to try something with you composition to see if I can illustrate what I just told you.

By the way, not too shabby for your first time out! Keep working at it!

Ask a Question