My keyboard is dancing

Reaction score
When I play our keyboard is jumping when I am playing hard. How do I make sure my keyboard is not going to fall off the stand. Hubby says when he is watching me play the keyboard is coming up like 3 inches at times off the stand on the upper end, less on the left end. Is it the stand we have or is there a way to make it more stable.

Reaction score
What sort of stand are you using? There are many options, some more stable than others.

Also, the positioning of the keyboard on the stand can make a difference here.

Oogie Wa Wa

Nate, bass and keys for The Feds Band
Reaction score
Wow, a bit excitable when playing, are we? ;):) But that's a good thing, you must have a great stage presence!

Maybe use some sticky-backed Velcro where the board sits on the stand? Attach the rough stuff to the stand and put the soft stuff on the bottom of the board.

And just thinking of leverage, are you using an 88 key board and maybe need at least a wider stand? Weighted keys and a light board? If you're playing beyond where the stand is that will tend to lift the other side.

Even moving the keyboard a little to the right may help. Or at least make it even! Nobody says it has to be centered. Just an inch or two may do the trick.

Edit: If it's an X-frame, maybe it's squashing down and popping back up. If it's squashing down, the arms are moving apart. Maybe something to tie the top and maybe the bottom of the two sides together so they can't move apart, like a taut piece of string or duct tape or something between them? Anything to make it more rigid.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What sort of stand are you using? There are many options, some more stable than others.

Also, the positioning of the keyboard on the stand can make a difference here.
I am not sure the actual brand of stand but it's an X frame stand. There is about 6 inches or less hanging over each side

Reaction score
I am not sure the actual brand of stand but it's an X frame stand. There is about 6 inches or less hanging over each side
Your keyboard is wide or narrow? (6 inches hanging over) - a double X stand should work, most have a movable rubble 2-inch rings on all 4 ends to move in or out.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Being Canadian...

Duct tape!!! The handyman's Secret Weapon...

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find ya handy... :D :D :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
So yeah, a stage piano is way too wide for an x-stand, unless you have it set up for a sitting position reallllly low.

No wonder the treble end is jumping when you're grinding out a walking bassline.

My advice is to spend some coin and get a table style stand or a cheaper adjustable Z stand.

I use Z stands for my Kurzweil PC3K8 and my Juno DS88 and believe me, they ain't going nowhere no matter how hard I'm slamming the keys.

Here's a whole selection of either on Amazon.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
it's lifting off the stand, not sliding....
Yes, but gravitationally, the only way a keyboard could "lift" or gravitate off of a stand is if one side is doing it while too much force is applying on the other side. Therefore I wonder if the keyboard is too heavy for the stand they are using.

Reaction score
So yeah, a stage piano is way too wide for an x-stand, unless you have it set up for a sitting position reallllly low.

No wonder the treble end is jumping when you're grinding out a walking bassline.

My advice is to spend some coin and get a table style stand or a cheaper adjustable Z stand.

I use Z stands for my Kurzweil PC3K8 and my Juno DS88 and believe me, they ain't going nowhere no matter how hard I'm slamming the keys.

Here's a whole selection of either on Amazon.

Gary ;)
Thanks!

Reaction score
Use a Z-stand myself from Inox. 59 Euro's in the Netherlands. Sturdy, heavy built and can carry up to 60 kg!! (I tested it out by putting a shelf on it and actually sat on it myself)

Ask a Question