My Keyboard is out of tune??....

Reaction score
Hello --

Forgive this post, I am just learning to play....

My gf got me a Roland EXR-3 for Xmas last year. I has been sitting for 4 or 5 months as we recently moved and I lost the power supply in the move. When I switched it I noticed it was way out of tune, probably close to half a note. I reseted it to all factory defaults to make sure and still had the problem. Long story short, when I reduce the pitch bender setting to "0", this problem goes away, so it seems that the pitch bender is the problem.

It was a little dusty when I got it out, do I need to take it apart and clean it? The bender moves very smoothly and seems to snap back to center as normal in both directions, so its probably not a spring issue. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Well, a digital piano cannot really go out of tune, so it must be the pitch bender or something similar. Does your keyboard have a transpose function? Transpose will shift the keys up or down in half steps, so that could be the issue. Other than that, I don't know how it could really be out of tune. Does the pitch bender actually work?

Reaction score
that's right... you can't get a digital piano out of tune, BUT there are a few things that come to mind.

You've mentioned the pitch bend which can be the problem. Maybe it's
dusty or something is stuck inside so it's always half a tune modulated.

Transpose function does the same thing, but there is one more thing...
You probably have a "Master tune frequency" in your global setting (or whatever
that's called on roland). Just check is ti set up to 440Hz. If it's lower/higher then
your keyboard is modulated a bit :)

Reaction score
Sorry, maybe I didnt explain completely. I am almost 100% positive the pitch bender is the culprit. When I reduce the range of the pitch bender to "0" (effectively turning it off), the problem goes away.

The thing that is wierd is that I have never had problems with it before, and the action on the pitch bender is still very smooth and it snaps back to center with no problem when I move it in either direction...

Any thoughts on a fix?

Reaction score
Maybe there's a loose or bad connection internally? If theres some dust or crumbs seated in the pitchbender control that might offset its default position to be slightly out of pitch? Good luck

Ask a Question