My MIDI set up doesn't like chords!

Reaction score
Okay, so I finally bought my first synth and am dipping my toes into using it as a midi controller.
As I suspected, it's not going without a hitch so if anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it..

I have a Roland D5 plugged into my laptop playing just a demo version of the latest FL studio. I have bought a cheap and nasty midi interface (could this be my downfall?) which does work, but when I play more than one note simultaneously, it doesn't always detect that I have released the key and it just descends into a racket.

If there is any settings I can check at either end, that's obviously preferable to spending some bills on a new interface and being no further forward.

I am still very much a newbie so please keep any advice simple!

Many many thanks anyone..

The Y_man

Reaction score
What sort of laptop (processor speed anbd RAM)? I found some lower spec laptops can become overwhelmed and do strange things like you have seen.

The Y-man

Reaction score
If you have a cheap USB cable interface, that may be the problem, or at least part of the problem. Also an older computer may have USB 1.0 which has slower transfer speed than the newer USB 2.0 protocol. (Note that, USB uses processor resources.)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A lot depends on the speed of your laptop, how old it is, and what OS it is running. Google "Troubleshooting MIDI Latency on Windows XXX" and you'll come up with a lot of handy Howtos and reference guides that would apply to your situation.

Regards,
Gary

Ask a Question