My new psych band

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My names Will and I'm a pianist in England. I've been asked to join a psych band called 'Piranhas Ate My Sister' and have said yes! I'm very excited, but I've never bought anything because I was taught on my grandmothers piano at home.

I'm looking for some new gear and sounds. Keyboard/Synths etc, someone said I need an amp for gigs? what do you think? I sat in a band practice and i think we need a very pink floyd/organ sounding thing. Any ideas, shops or gear?

Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you were taught on a piano you'd probably need 88 keys.

What's your budget like?

You could consider a Roland Juno DS61 or DS88 for your main board and something analogue or virtual analogue for the really spacey synth stuff.

Maybe a Behringer Deepmind 6 or Deepmind 12 or a Studiologic Sledge or a King Korg.

Amps will depend on how large a venue you are playing and whether or not the venue will supply a sound system.

At the very least you'll need a decent quality mixer to plug your keys into before they go to the amps.

Like I said, there's a lot of unanswered questions here. Budget, venues, full time or part time, so give us a better idea of what you have to work with and we'll answer your questions as best we can.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Welcome

I agree with Gary especially the DS88.

As for Amps check out Rolands own KC220 which would be OK for practice and small gigs and when you get a larger amp for bigger venues the 220 is a monitor, btw it has an inbuilt mike input so two for one with this one. Its bigger brother the 990 would also be a good choice.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
For a practice amp I'd suggest a Behringer K450FX or for more power a K900FX.

I use a K450FX hooked up to a Juno DS88 for playing in my living room and I love it. The sound is great.

In my home studio though I use a couple of M-Audio BX5a's and an 8" Monoprice Subwoofer for recording.

Anyway, the Behringer amps are just as good or better than the Rolands for a fraction of the price.

The K450FX has 3 inputs, a 5 band graphic EQ and 100 built in DSP effects.

Mine has been working flawlessly for at least 15 years.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I've probably got about 400 in cash ready to go and this might stretch to about 600 in january after christmas etc and if theres a bargain to be had in the sales. I think for now bassist said he had a basic bass amp/speaker I could use because a guitar amp won't like it. Or run it through the PA. will look to get an amp for gigs when I need one, I don't think we'll be gigging this side of Easter.

I have seen keyboard/synth players with 3 or 4 different keyboards, would it be worthwhile getting 2 cheaper instruments, like a synth and a keyboard? I don't know, too many options!

but I did see this https://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/korg-microkorg-37-mini-key-synthesizer-and-vocoder-p3019
after the guitarist said his last band had a microkorg?

Thanks

Will

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'd recommend starting with one keyboard, especially if you've got only $400 to $600 to spend. That means you'll want a good all-purpose (or at least multi-purpose) keyboard that can cover your basic needs, even if it's less than stellar at some of them.

Then, when you have more money, you can think about getting a second keyboard that does a better job of covering the stuff that the first keyboard has trouble with.

Reaction score
Will.

Two main things.

1) Your link is to Rimmers, I would never, ever buy from them instore only via online. They have very different T&C’s between instore and online sales such that if you buy instore and seek a return you will struggle to get any sense out of them.

PMT, A&C Hamilton, Music Matters are my preferred sources for keys, amps etc with Riedy’s for guitars.

Re the MicroKorg, if you are a normal sized guy or larger forget it. They are only for someone with very small hands, I simply cannot play one as my finger width spans over a key.

2) Now your budget, ouch; that is small to achieve what you want. You may find what you seek second hand but new, no way. A Roland DS 61 new is £509 from PMT then you need an amp and the Behringer K450FX is £149 from Music Matters. A DS 61 will have a different key action to the piano you are used to to get close to that feel you would need a DS88 but that blows the budget @ its £750 price.

As Rimmers are a North West England company I assume you live near in the North West. Can I suggest that you visit PMT in Manchester, they are just off Regent Road which is at the end of the M602, there store is huge, and you will get the chance of hands on with a variety of keyboards and PMT will match online prices but all retailers I have bought from price match. If you happen to live nearer Preston then Music Matters have a store five minutes from j31A of the M6 and they will have the Juno and probably the Korg Kross 2 all ready to play instore, A&C Hamilton will also have this kit ready to play.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Thanks Biggles I'll have a look.

Think we're going to Manchester next weekend to see family. I'm up between Gisburn and Settle so everywhere is a bit of a trek. Never heard of Music Matters but Preston is just down the a59 so I might be able to visit, i'll have a look on the site. I'm all up for buying old, just don't want to get ripped off on eBay, because i've never had my own keyboard and digital is very new to me.

Thanks all for helping.

Will

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
With you budget you might want to start out with a used keyboard. A used Juno Di or G might serve you well enough to start.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Biggles I'll have a look.

Think we're going to Manchester next weekend to see family. I'm up between Gisburn and Settle so everywhere is a bit of a trek. Never heard of Music Matters but Preston is just down the a59 so I might be able to visit, i'll have a look on the site. I'm all up for buying old, just don't want to get ripped off on eBay, because i've never had my own keyboard and digital is very new to me.

Thanks all for helping.

Will

Music Matter in Preston have a much more extensive range of keyboards than Rimmers of Leyland. If you type Music Matter in Google then get up Google Maps of their location and then click on the image of the store front you should get a page of images from inside the store many of the images are 360 so you can have a good look around.

Can I suggest that you head over to Youtube and type in ... Roland Product Support Juno DS ... you should then get a long list of Roland’s own tutorial videos which if you work through them they will give you a good idea on the capabilities of the Juno DS keyboards.

Whilst on Youtube key in ... Korg Kross 2 Video Manual ... and you will get similar video tutorials, these are better than the Roland ones simply as they start at the beginningband work through each major function in turn whereas the Roland ones are more extensive but disjointed.

Watching the tutorials will set you up nicely to find your way around these keyboards in a Music Store.

Just looked on the A&C Hamilton website and they have an ex demo Korg Kross 2 at £489 but I am pretty sure you can haggle them down, ask for Justin in the store if you go there. They are on Blackpool Road almost at the western edge of Preston about 50 minutes away from you.

Easy to get to, stay on A59 up the hill after M6 to the first Roundabout, take 2nd major road which is Blackpool Road and just keep going until you see the store on the right.

I have a Korg Kross 2 (61 keys), I bought it in preference to the Juno DS (1) it is way, way lighter thus easier to transport (2) it was a brand new model at the time I bought it a year ago.

BTW, I live in Preston.

Last edited:

Ask a Question