My problem with fully weighted

Reaction score
i have a digital piano with these keys. Now, I guess I bought it because I needed to simulate learning on a "real" piano. But I am unlikely to use a real piano! Anyway I bought fully weighted but the return on the keys hit quite heavily on the supporting pad strip causing a thump to echo through the floor annoying others in the house. I am not sure if using a "springy" support frame instead of the shop bought stand will change things?
Note I have headphones so all they hear is " thud, thud, thud! So if I get semi-weighted keys is this problem going to go away? Or should I go for non weighted?

Side-note: I like the look of the Nord stage 2 and this comes in various forms of key dynamics. Would prefer though before paying out again to get some advice from the better informed on this forum. Thanks for your time.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Try putting a slab of foam rubber directly under the keyboard on the stand to deaden the "thumpity thump" that's reverberating thru your floorboards.

Or look around for some sort of shock absorber mounting for the keyboard or the stand.

Necessity is a mother of invention :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ah, yes I've done all that! Makes little difference.The best I've come up with is washing machine sound deadener pad. I was wondering if a non fully weighted keyboard would be better and was hoping someone with one upstairs (wooden floor boards constructed house) in their home could try it and report back.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The sad truth is that house construction and people's tolerance for noise vary greatly.

Even if someone tries the experiment with their own rig, who's to say if they play with the same energy as you do, or whether the noise travels as much in their place as yours, or whether anyone below is fussy enough to consider it annoying.

I honestly don't think it would make all that much difference if a non weighted action was used. It would depend on how forcefully you play once you really get into it.

EVERY keyboard makes some noise and vibration once you plug in headphones and have at it.

Any chance you could move your playing into the basement?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Just a beginner Gary trying to explore all possibilities! I'll dig out a basement today and see if that works! But I think that with the feedback so far I will accept that this is inevitable and discuss with my victims. Maybe I can convince them of the fantastic rhythms I am making and they can vibrate along with them!

Roger out.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
She said she could hear me bashing away on the keybed!
I have been accused of the exact same.
It's a passionate thing when you become deeply involved in the music. You can thump those keys unaware that you are creating a sound outside the perimeters of your headphones.
Also tapping your foot to the timing and beat. This thump, thump, sound apparently keeps the spouse awake.:eek:
Not a good thing to do after midnight:confused: if you want to save your marriage.

John Garside

JohnG
Reaction score
It's not just musical keyboards, When my wife is working upstairs on the computer I can hear her typing.
Likewise, if she's downstairs and I'm using my computer, she can hear me typing.
Both to a greater or lesser extent depending, I suspect, whether one is answering something reasonable or some inanity.
One can, I know, adjust one's response to these sounds by thinking about whether it is acceptable or not for a person to be allowed to practise.

Reaction score
Well, I dug out the basement but it is too damp so back upstairs!

Ray Blewit, So if I practice some more I could end up on my own! Hmm.

John, The answer seems to be get the others occupants to learn the piano and practice together!

Or, maybe give up?

Anyway I think we've bottomed this one out now before I get banned for totally frivolous posting.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Or perhaps simply install a plush carpet in the practice room to deaden the noise??

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I've had my weighted 88 key Juno DS88 for about a month, it's virtually silent when I play it and I've had a Yamaha S80 in the past which was a lot louder

Reaction score
I've had my weighted 88 key Juno DS88 for about a month, it's virtually silent when I play it and I've had a Yamaha S80 in the past which was a lot louder
Hey, JunoDS88 want to put you on the spot here. Would you mind doing a little test (especially if you still have the other electric keyboard/piano to compare) on your new keyboard?

1. Turn the sound off.

2. Play a key to it's full stroke medium/hard (f) and note the thud noise level. Is it noisy and does it resound into the floor (get someone to listen down below say)?

3. Next operate the key to it's fullest then let it spring up under it's own momentum. Same check as above.

Interested in your comment as this is a test keyboard reviews never make!

PS I have a iRigKEYSPro midi which does not have transmittable key noise.

This DS88 can it be played like a piano and have backing tracks and the like and suitable for a beginner?

Cheers.

Reaction score
I was on my way out for the weekend but using a Gator Frameworks table style stand this makes less noise then any I can remember playing. The strike doesn't transfer to the floor but that could be partially due to the foam rubber padding on either side. There is no loud clunk though, it's more like a soft thud.

Reaction score
To answer the second question, the DS88 has a Phrase Sampler feature and a number of different drum rhythms that can be triggered via the drum pads, but it doesn't have chordal backing tracks like, let's say an arranger keyboard. It allows for splits though so you could have bass in your left hand and piano in your right. It has a synthetic ivory keybed, and I didn't give that too much thought until I had been playing it for a while and it really does complete the illusion that you are not playing a real piano with good action.

Reaction score
i have a digital piano with these keys. Now, I guess I bought it because I needed to simulate learning on a "real" piano. But I am unlikely to use a real piano! Anyway I bought fully weighted but the return on the keys hit quite heavily on the supporting pad strip causing a thump to echo through the floor annoying others in the house. I am not sure if using a "springy" support frame instead of the shop bought stand will change things?
Note I have headphones so all they hear is " thud, thud, thud! So if I get semi-weighted keys is this problem going to go away? Or should I go for non weighted?

Side-note: I like the look of the Nord stage 2 and this comes in various forms of key dynamics. Would prefer though before paying out again to get some advice from the better informed on this forum. Thanks for your time.

Ask a Question