My starter set up - what would you buy next?

Reaction score
Some of you know I have a Roland Juno DS-88. It’s been brilliant for versatility, especially for the price. I recently purchased an M-Audio Oxygen Pro Midi Controller which I have finally figured out how to use with the Juno as an extension of the keybed via midi. Meaning I have weighted and non weighted keys with more flexibility to split sounds etc. (see picture)

My question to you is, to have a completely versatile set up - what would be your next purchase in my situation. I am currently swaying towards the VR-09 as it’s affordable and would give me the organ sounds the DS doesn’t do so well.

I am avoiding using DAW in a live situation, for cost and simplicity more than anything but I have been toying with the idea.

Attachments

• E370B8DD-5DDD-4022-9557-4091FC0D8428.jpeg
    E370B8DD-5DDD-4022-9557-4091FC0D8428.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 35
Reaction score
If I remember correctly the Juno does not have Roland’s Supernatural sounds where the next model up the FA does.

The VR does have Supernatural sounds and it has to be the best vfm for an organ based keyboard at its price point.

I have a Numa Compact 2X and like its organ sounds but as I bought it on a whim I never got chance to compare it against the Roland.

Do let us know of the outcome.

Reaction score
If I remember correctly the Juno does not have Roland’s Supernatural sounds where the next model up the FA does.

The VR does have Supernatural sounds and it has to be the best vfm for an organ based keyboard at its price point.

I have a Numa Compact 2X and like its organ sounds but as I bought it on a whim I never got chance to compare it against the Roland.

Do let us know of the outcome.

I suppose if money wasn’t a factor it would be an easier decision. From what I’ve read, for the price the VR09 arguably competes in the same league as a Nord in terms of organ sounds so for the fairly modest £600 price tag of the 09 I’m very tempted.

Eventually I may upgrade my DS88 but being new to the came having transferred from drums a few years back I’m still building my rig up and getting experience playing live. Maybe eventually I’ll feel competent enough to justify the upgrade but for now I’m really happy with it.

Reaction score
The keybed in the VR09 isnt anywhere near the nord mind. sonically it is.

When I was looking (ended up with a Hammond modual not a full keyboard) it would have been the VR730. Proper, very nice waterfall keybad... but its more money of course. Not nord money but more than the Vr09.

Ive not tried the Numa mind.

Reaction score

You're right that Juno DS has no SuperNATURAL sounds. Though the surprising thing is, even though the FA is the next model up and has a bunch of better features (including some SuperNATURAL), it also lacks a bunch of things the DS has! The new Fantom-0 has almost everything both of them have, and a lot more... though it's still missing some things, like the workstation-style sequencer of the FA.

The VR does have Supernatural sounds

It has the SuperNATURAL Synth engine. It has no SuperNATURAL acoustic instrument sounds. FA has the synth but also has some of the acoustic SN sounds, like pianos, strings, etc. FA also has the SuperNATURAL tonewheel organ, but while it's far better than what's in the Juno, it's still not nearly as good as what's in the VR-09 (or the Fantom-0).

PIcking up on all of that, to the OP, I'd say yes, the VR-09 is a nice complement to the Juno DS. It's strengths are organ and VA (virtual analog) synthesis, which happen to be exactly some of the biggest weaknesses of the Juno DS. There are other good choice too, but at the price, that's probably the best complement to what you have. Note that the synth sounds can't be edited on the board. You either have to use Roland's iPad app to edit the sounds, or also there's a freeware 3rd-party editor that runs on WIndows and Mac.

Reaction score
Some of you know I have a Roland Juno DS-88. It’s been brilliant for versatility, especially for the price. I recently purchased an M-Audio Oxygen Pro Midi Controller which I have finally figured out how to use with the Juno as an extension of the keybed via midi. Meaning I have weighted and non weighted keys with more flexibility to split sounds etc. (see picture)

My question to you is, to have a completely versatile set up - what would be your next purchase in my situation. I am currently swaying towards the VR-09 as it’s affordable and would give me the organ sounds the DS doesn’t do so well.

I am avoiding using DAW in a live situation, for cost and simplicity more than anything but I have been toying with the idea.

In similar situation.. I had the Juno DS, replaced it with RD 88 as a more portable and more playout oriented board. Use a midi plus 61 key controller for organ. Run the midi through a Ferrofish B4000+ organ drawbar module and an electroharmonix LesterG rotary pedal. The RD is for everything else. over 3500 tones so it can accommodate all those tunes that are more sounds and effects than real playing. Like uptown funk and such songs.

Dave

Reaction score

Now that you have MIDI figured out, you could purchase Vintage Organs from Native Instruments. It has a number of organ emulations, including of course the Hammond B3, C3, M3 and Vox Continental (for 1960's style r&r). You can run it in the free Kontakt player and use your M-Audio controller to send MIDI to it. It really sounds great for a virtual plugin organ. There are other virtual implementations as well. I chose this one for its flexibility and sound.

Reaction score
Just an update...I went for the VR09B to go with my Juno DS. I am very happy with it, the only issue is some of the sounds (piano for example) are actually nicer than the DS so I now feel I need to upgrade my DS, haha. Is this a never ending cycle?

But now very happy with my set up, and the VR09 is really well configured quick access, live situations. I just now need to up my game on organ skills!

Ask a Question