My Studio, particularly my keyboard setup

Reaction score
Greetings all:

This is my first post in this community and I am glad to have found you all!

Let me start off by saying that I am not a traditional keyboard player, although I have always loved the sounds of the early 80's synthesizers and been very much interested in MIDI for a long time now.

That having been said, this past year I have been actively building my home studio up. I started with buying an audio interface which will be upgraded to a much better one in the next year or so (currently it is a presonus Audiobox USB 2 port), my studio mic is AKG Perception 430. My studio monitors are JBL 3 series -- can't remember off the top of my head, but 305 is the last of the model number. To that, I have added a Maschine Groove and an AKAI MAX 46 MIDI controller. I own the Aurturia collection suite of "soft synths" and plan to add a CMC 72 key MIDI controller next month.

All this brings me to my question for the room :) I want to assign the Max 46 and CMC controllers to different soft synths for live peformance AND also keep one-off sounds, samples on the Maschine to be used as needed. This is kind of the same approach as one of my keyboard idols takes, Thomas Dolby... I am just not sure how to make it happen. I have one computer (DAW) currently and I am not sure if I will need to actually have two computers (or more) and then run different soft synths on them??? or if I can just assing stand alone synths and map the controller to one I want to use? Help on this front is REALLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Michael Needham

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Just assign each controller and the associated voices to separate MIDI channels. See your documentation on how exactly to implement different MIDI channels on your setup.

Basically instead of setting all your controllers to "MIDI Omni" or equivalent, set the CMC to channels 1-4 and the Akai to 5-8 etc. to handle the tough stuff like splits and layers.

Also bear in mind that Channel 10 is reserved for drums and percussion.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Reaction score
Welcome Michael. That are different ways to accomplish what you describe. Typically, the most common limitation is processer power and ram availability.
Don

Ask a Question