My USB keeps disconnecting after few minutes of use

Reaction score
Its me again, with another problem on my PSR S700

When i bought my PSR S700, i got USB with it with a lot of banks and presets, and it worked normally, no problems with connecting or something like that, i used it
a lot and with no problems, it loaded all presets and banks easily.

I turn on my keyboard, chose what preset i want from USB and play it, no problem.

But last weak i started facing problem, when i turn on keyboard, and go to USB, it starts to Scan it and verifying it, and when i want to search from folder to folder, loading process was very slow, not like first time when i bought it, it takes like 5-10 sec to exit folder and 5-10 to enter another.

Then i got error message and it says " Disk Error" and after that it says " Device disconnected " and after that i cant access my USB anymore on my keyboard, i need to turn it off and on so i can again access USB, but it happens again, after loading preset or bank from USB and using it for a few minutes it crashes again, same error message " Disk Error " and " Device Disconnected ".

First i thought maybe power is problem or something like that and i took my phone USB charger cable and plugged it and no problem at all, i charged my phone for a hour with no problem or Disconnections, then i took another USB and plugged it in and again, it worked for a few minutes and again same problem.

If someone know how to fix the problem, please help me.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It sounds like the USB flash drive might be failing. They are subject to "bit rot" and general failure. I would transfer all of the files to a new USB flash drive and see if that helps.

Reaction score
By USB I think that you referring to a USB memory stick?

If this is the case I would take the the memory to a computer and if all is OK copy the entire contents to a new folder on your computer.

If you have not done this with this particular USB memory stick already and you computer fails to see and read the device then the technical term for your state is screwed. One should always backup the operating system of a keyboard, backup the user settings of the keyboard and backup each mobile storage device that you connect to the keyboard.

If all is OK, insert a brand new USB memory stick into the Yamaha and format it in the keyboard.

Then with the keyboard turned off remove the USB memory stick and take it to your computer and copy the whole of the content that you have on the computer folder you recently created onto the USB memory stick.

Eject the USB memory stick from your computer by the correct method which is not simply pulling it out and put it back in your Yamaha and turn it on and see what happens.

It sounds like it is a USB memory stick issue that you are experiencing.

Tip
Never, ever remove a USB memory stick from any keyboard or computer by pulling it out, run the correct eject procedure or turn off the keyboard. If the USB memory stick is being written to when it is pulled out it can cause permanent damage to it.

Reaction score
By USB I think that you referring to a USB memory stick?

If this is the case I would take the the memory to a computer and if all is OK copy the entire contents to a new folder on your computer.

If you have not done this with this particular USB memory stick already and you computer fails to see and read the device then the technical term for your state is screwed. One should always backup the operating system of a keyboard, backup the user settings of the keyboard and backup each mobile storage device that you connect to the keyboard.

If all is OK, insert a brand new USB memory stick into the Yamaha and format it in the keyboard.

Then with the keyboard turned off remove the USB memory stick and take it to your computer and copy the whole of the content that you have on the computer folder you recently created onto the USB memory stick.

Eject the USB memory stick from your computer by the correct method which is not simply pulling it out and put it back in your Yamaha and turn it on and see what happens.

It sounds like it is a USB memory stick issue that you are experiencing.

Tip
Never, ever remove a USB memory stick from any keyboard or computer by pulling it out, run the correct eject procedure or turn off the keyboard. If the USB memory stick is being written to when it is pulled out it can cause permanent damage to it.
Sound scary, i will try and tell what is going on, until that ...

Reaction score
Update:
So far so good, i done all the steps except one, i formated old USB drive just to see if it will work, but am surprised that it worked, it load presets and banks fast, i will test it little bit more just to see if everything works well.

Only thing that happened is that i couldn't turn on keyboard, it was stuck on Yamaha logo, i turned keyboard on and off 2 times and it powered up, but i think that it is fixed.

Problem was that i used to pull USB drive right from the keyboard while it was turned on for a few times, i didn't know that i need to turn off keyboard first.

Thanks a lot for help, i really appreciate to all. :)

Reaction score
It may be worthwhile taking out the USB memory stick and just playing for a while using the inbuilt sounds and styles to see if the keyboard boots and plays OK.

Then turn off, turn on and repeat.

Then turn off and leave for a couple of hours before turning it on again.

Then respond back to us.

I am slightly concerned that there may be circuitboard or power supply issues with the S700 and cycling the unit as described may bring up problems, leaving the unit for a couple of hours will allow the unit to cool and any residual charge held in the components to commence to decay.

Reaction score
It may be worthwhile taking out the USB memory stick and just playing for a while using the inbuilt sounds and styles to see if the keyboard boots and plays OK.

Then turn off, turn on and repeat.

Then turn off and leave for a couple of hours before turning it on again.

Then respond back to us.

I am slightly concerned that there may be circuitboard or power supply issues with the S700 and cycling the unit as described may bring up problems, leaving the unit for a couple of hours will allow the unit to cool and any residual charge held in the components to commence to decay.
The problem is back, after i formated USB and pluged it in first time, it worked well, no crashes and problems, and i turned off keyboard, and after few hours i turned it on again and again same problem.

I played it with pluged USB but with built in presets and got same messages again.

It disconects USB and after few secounds it connects it, and then i got error message " Disk error " and all that stuf.

I really dont know what to do at this point, only thing left is to take different USB and try with it.

Attachments

• 20200115_175827.jpg
    20200115_175827.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 141
  • 20200115_175804.jpg
    20200115_175804.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 141

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
One other thing I thought about mentioning before is that sometimes a USB port will become loose, such that it no longer holds an inserted USB flash drive snugly. If that happens, it might be hard for the flash drive to keep a reliable connection, resulting in problems reading from and writing to the flash drive. You can usually tell if the port is too loose because it's pretty obvious that the USB flash drive isn't being held snuggly; it will feel jiggly or loose while it's inserted into the port. This can happen over time if you aren't holding the flash drive straight when inserting it or removing it.

If the port becomes loose like that, the best thing to do is to replace it.

Hopefully that isn't what's going on here, and it's just a bad (worn out) flash drive. But you should always try to be careful to keep the flash drive straight and level when you are inserting or removing it, to avoid putting lateral pressure on the port and causing it to become loosened.

One other possibility is that you've got one or more corrupt files on the flash drive, and that everything is more or less fine with the flash drive until you try to access one of the corrupted files. I don't know if that explanation is likely in this case, but if the problem doesn't show up until you try to read specific files then this might be why.

Reaction score
One other thing I thought about mentioning before is that sometimes a USB port will become loose, such that it no longer holds an inserted USB flash drive snugly. If that happens, it might be hard for the flash drive to keep a reliable connection, resulting in problems reading from and writing to the flash drive. You can usually tell if the port is too loose because it's pretty obvious that the USB flash drive isn't being held snuggly; it will feel jiggly or loose while it's inserted into the port. This can happen over time if you aren't holding the flash drive straight when inserting it or removing it.

If the port becomes loose like that, the best thing to do is to replace it.

Hopefully that isn't what's going on here, and it's just a bad (worn out) flash drive. But you should always try to be careful to keep the flash drive straight and level when you are inserting or removing it, to avoid putting lateral pressure on the port and causing it to become loosened.

One other possibility is that you've got one or more corrupt files on the flash drive, and that everything is more or less fine with the flash drive until you try to access one of the corrupted files. I don't know if that explanation is likely in this case, but if the problem doesn't show up until you try to read specific files then this might be why.
I tried to put another USB ( empty one, no files ) and still, after 2-3 minutes the screen goes wild with those messages, first disconnected, then connected, then again disconnected, then Disk Error, very unstable warnings, so it gotta be loosened USB port.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Well, if the USB flash drive feels pretty secure in the port (you didn't say one way or the other, so I don't know), then the port itself might not be loose, but there might be a connection inside the casing that's not secure. How does the flash drive feel when you insert it? Does it seem like it's snug, or loose?

Reaction score
My fourth and final post on this thread, I did ask you to try this but you have not responded.

Does the keyboard function OK when there is no USB memory stick inserted?

Reaction score
My fourth and final post on this thread, I did ask you to try this but you have not responded.

Does the keyboard function OK when there is no USB memory stick inserted?
Yeah, keyboard works perfectly fine, no problems at all, seems like that USB drive is problem, or something inside system is damaged

Reaction score
Well, if the USB flash drive feels pretty secure in the port (you didn't say one way or the other, so I don't know), then the port itself might not be loose, but there might be a connection inside the casing that's not secure. How does the flash drive feel when you insert it? Does it seem like it's snug, or loose?
It sits very tight, no loose at all, i cleaned it too, but still same problem, looks like system or something inside keyboard is wrong

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I'm still not clear on whether you tried using a brand new flash drive, or just another one that you already had, but I'd recommend doing one final test. Purchase a brand new flash drive from one of the ones which are known to be fully compatible with the PSR-S700, format the flash drive on the keyboard, and see how well that one works.

Another thing you could do is check which version of the firmware your PSR-S700 is running, and if it isn't V1.30 then see if you can update it to V1.30. Of course, that requires a fully-compatible flash drive and fully-working port:

If it looks like there's an internal problem with the keyboard, you should take it to a certified technician for repair. If you want to try servicing it yourself-- definitely not recommended if you don't know what you're doing-- you can find a copy of the Service Manual at ElektroTanya:

At the very least, you could run the built-in test program, as described in the Service Manual, to see if it detects anything amiss.

Reaction score
I'm still not clear on whether you tried using a brand new flash drive, or just another one that you already had, but I'd recommend doing one final test. Purchase a brand new flash drive from one of the ones which are known to be fully compatible with the PSR-S700, format the flash drive on the keyboard, and see how well that one works.

Another thing you could do is check which version of the firmware your PSR-S700 is running, and if it isn't V1.30 then see if you can update it to V1.30. Of course, that requires a fully-compatible flash drive and fully-working port:

If it looks like there's an internal problem with the keyboard, you should take it to a certified technician for repair. If you want to try servicing it yourself-- definitely not recommended if you don't know what you're doing-- you can find a copy of the Service Manual at ElektroTanya:

At the very least, you could run the built-in test program, as described in the Service Manual, to see if it detects anything amiss.
I will try everything u said, i hope something will work, i will update you about progress asap.

Reaction score
I have done test mode and everything looks ok, no problems at all, USB deive was scaned and it looks ok, i am going to see how USB works now

Reaction score
I done factory test but still everything is same, but one fun thing, at the end of the test, i did factory reset but all the things from keyboard are backed up on the USB, and when i restarted keyboard, there were nothing, only factory stuff, and i restored everything from the USB, and when restore was over the USB just shut down, and same messages again, it is like it work but actually not, am confused now, i even laughed at it .

Reaction score
If everything is working great after a factory reset then the problem lies:-

(1) with the user data (2) the usb port (3) a faulty connection.

If you have a fully working keyboard with no user data loaded then do not load your old data.

Insert a clean USB memory stick and create new user data via customising your tones and styles and save it to the USB memory stick.

Recycle the keyboard a few times, playing it each time and see what happens.

If then everything is OK it is more likely that the old user data is corrupt and it is that which is causing the problem.

If the problem come back take the keyboard to a technician to repair.

Arranger keyboards are very fickle in their operation if faulty user data is loaded, it is a common problem with all makes and it is why we have been asking you to perform specific tasks to narrow down the root cause if the problem.

Blindly loaded corrupt user data will not rectify anything.

Ask a Question