My USB keeps erroring mid-recording

Reaction score
I am trying to record direct to usb on my CP40 State piano and it keeps erroring out after 15-20 bars. Not consistently but most. Very annoying when laying down tracks. I have re-formatted an old usb, used a brand new one -- just don't know what the problem is. Anyone else have this happen ... and maybe a solution?

Reaction score
I am trying to record direct to usb on my CP40 State piano and it keeps erroring out after 15-20 bars. Not consistently but most. Very annoying when laying down tracks. I have re-formatted an old usb, used a brand new one -- just don't know what the problem is. Anyone else have this happen ... and maybe a solution?
If you have not, Use good quality usb sticks, sandisk etc. Also make sure they are genuine. I bought some that said sansdisk and were china knockoffs. Looked real but were garbage. They have high failure rates. Not familiar with the cp40, but if possible format the stick with it, if it has the ability. Most require fat32.

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with recording directly to a flash drive on my Kawai ES920. See if your keyboard has a function for formatting the flash drive directly from your keyboard before using it to record. I did this on my Kawai and have never had the problem again. Mark that flash drive as having been formatted for any future recording. Of course when formatting a flash drive in any place, it completely wipes any files, so transfer any files to your computer's hard drive first.

Bill88

Reaction score

Reaction score

Reaction score
Hi, I had the same problem with my PSRS 910. I don't know the CP40.
Check if your internal memory has enough storage space. if not, download data on PC.
If recording midi to USB stick, (can't do that on my keyboard) but can save the midi on memory stick direct from internal memory.
a good quality fast writing speed, I use scan disk only.
USB stick needs enough space for data. Steer away from cheap and slow writing usb sticks.
I only use Scandisk memory sticks. I have done several perfect midi recordings and never had this problem again. Hope you can solve your problem.

Ask a Question