My Yamaha Arius Piano turn on itself

Reaction score
Hi, so I have this digital piano for ten years..it was fine until these recent months..

Whenever I plug the adapter, the piano will turn on, but whenever I long press the power button (like I normally did to turn it off), the led power indicator will still on but the keyboard will not make any sound and no button will function (as if I turn it off), if I press the power button, the instrument won't turn on, so the only way to turn it on again is by unplugging and replugging the adapter.

Sometimes, the piano will turn normal (will turn on and off by pressing the power button and it doesn't turn on itself when I plug the adapter), but oftenly it doesn't.

The worse is recently it's getting worse..sometimes the sound of the piano will automatically changing to other instrument sound without me pressing the settings button, and now the recording button will turn on itself,no matter how much I press the button to turn it off, if will turned off itself, and when I do a recording, the recording will end by itself during I'm playing the piano.

My piano is YDP 142
I need help :(

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If it's 10 years old, it may just be time to retire it and get a replacement, especially if you've been using it regularly over those 10 years. Other than that...

Do you keep the lid over the keys when you aren't playing it, to keep out dust, hair, etc.?

I see that it has an auto power off feature. Will it turn itself off after sitting idle for a bit if you activate that feature?

I don't know how similar the YDP-142 is to the YDP-140 and YDP-141, but there are service manuals for the latter two models at ElektroTanya:

http://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresult&what=ydp 14&kategoria=&kat2=all

Reaction score
If it's 10 years old, it may just be time to retire it and get a replacement, especially if you've been using it regularly over those 10 years. Other than that...

Do you keep the lid over the keys when you aren't playing it, to keep out dust, hair, etc.?

I see that it has an auto power off feature. Will it turn itself off after sitting idle for a bit if you activate that feature?

I don't know how similar the YDP-142 is to the YDP-140 and YDP-141, but there are service manuals for the latter two models at ElektroTanya:

http://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresult&what=ydp 14&kategoria=&kat2=all

I bought it in a new condition back on 2014, yes oftenly my niece play it and leave it with the lid open. It has the auto off feature if left unplayed for 30 minutes (in a normal condition)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The reason I asked about the lid is because there might be a lot of dust, hair, etc. that has accumulated inside if the keys haven't been covered up, so it might be worthwhile to open up the casing and try to clean out the insides using a can of compressed air.

As for the auto off feature, I have two low-end Yamahas with an auto off feature, and I'm able to set the length of time before the keyboard turns itself off. I was just wondering if the auto off still works, or if it's acting up as well. If it still works, you could let the keyboard turn itself off after a short period of inactivity, then unplug it.

Reaction score
The reason I asked about the lid is because there might be a lot of dust, hair, etc. that has accumulated inside if the keys haven't been covered up, so it might be worthwhile to open up the casing and try to clean out the insides using a can of compressed air.

As for the auto off feature, I have two low-end Yamahas with an auto off feature, and I'm able to set the length of time before the keyboard turns itself off. I was just wondering if the auto off still works, or if it's acting up as well. If it still works, you could let the keyboard turn itself off after a short period of inactivity, then unplug it.

Will try it....well for the auto off, it did turned off the function after a while, but abnormally, the power indicator still on, and if I press the power button, the piano won't turn on unless I unplug and replug the piano (if I did so, I do not need to press the power button because when I replug the piano, the piano will turn on itself, which is not normal)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yeah, it sounds like the button or its connection has gotten worn out from 10 years of use. And it sounds like you're having other intermittent issues with the instrument. I don't know how much the service manuals for the YDP-140 and YDP-141 might apply to the YDP-142, but it's worth a shot to download them and see if they contain any helpful information about parts and such.

If there's no way to repair it, then replacing it with a new model might be best-- and might be best even if you can repair its current problems, since there's no guarantee that future problems won't occur. A new keyboard of equivalent capabilities might take a bite out of your budget, but would at least be covered by a warranty.

Reaction score
Hi, so I have this digital piano for ten years..it was fine until these recent months..

Whenever I plug the adapter, the piano will turn on, but whenever I long press the power button (like I normally did to turn it off), the led power indicator will still on but the keyboard will not make any sound and no button will function (as if I turn it off), if I press the power button, the instrument won't turn on, so the only way to turn it on again is by unplugging and replugging the adapter.

Sometimes, the piano will turn normal (will turn on and off by pressing the power button and it doesn't turn on itself when I plug the adapter), but oftenly it doesn't.

The worse is recently it's getting worse..sometimes the sound of the piano will automatically changing to other instrument sound without me pressing the settings button, and now the recording button will turn on itself,no matter how much I press the button to turn it off, if will turned off itself, and when I do a recording, the recording will end by itself during I'm playing the piano.

My piano is YDP 142
I need help :(
Im having the same problem with my Arius 142...have u solved it???

Reaction score
Sorry you are having problems.

The original poster has not been on the forum for two years so we do not know the outcome.

Ask a Question