My Yamaha MM8 powers on, but no sound. PLEASE HELP

Reaction score
Hi, my Yamaha MM8 powers on but when I plug in my head phones, there is NO SOUND. I plugged it into my amp (using the standard 1/4 inch cable- in fact I tried 3 different cables, to no avail). YES I checked all of the "basic" possibilities - volume control, head phone Jack removed completely). I read on line to ensure that 'local control' is ON. (I'm about to check that now). In case that doesn't solve the issue, could it be the input jack?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you are just going to blindly swap parts until it's fixed you're better off taking it to a service tech. There's literally a dozen possibilities why the headphone jack is not working and if you are not familiar with basic test gear and procedures then you are likely to cause more damage than you repair.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Are you missing sound at the R/L (Mono) main OUTPUT jacks as well as at the Phones jack ? If you are, and you have LOCAL turned on and the main output volume set to proper level, then you most likely have a major problem with the main circuit board. If you are missing sound ONLY at the Phones jack, then you have a problem with just the Phones jack circuitry, but that circuitry consists of more than just the jack and some wires. There are also active components involved, any one of which could be at fault. In either case, as Gary (happyrat1) has already stated, unless you have proper test equipment and problem determination skills, this would best be left to a qualified service technician.

Ask a Question