My Yamaha PSR510 has died. Now what?

Reaction score
Back in the 90's I was amazed how, by ear, a novice to non-musician like me could produce fairly accurate renderings of music I taped off the radio by programming loops into the my old Yamaha PSR 510 arranger workstation. Wow! The controls were so straightforward and intuitive. There was a data wheel with a simple 3 character led but most essential functions could be executed with its own separate button. The accompaniment featured an intro and ending, 2 mains and two fill-ins which I used to arrange my custom loops into the song memory. Step record mode allowed me to record more complicated drum rolls etc. into the fill-ins.
Now that the 510 has bitten the dust, I'm experimenting with a PSR S670. I'm completely lost. I think the capability is there but the LCD display is cumbersome and the implementation is not straightforward at all. Even if I do learn it, I think the keyboard is going to work me to death. So what is the right keyboard for me? will a PSR S770 or S970 fix my problem or do I need something else all together?
I notice that I almost never used any the preset accompaniment styles at all. If I did, I started by immediately clearing all tracks to record my own loops! It also occurs to me that I'm more of a studio musician (if I am one at all) than a live performer. Could it be that I need LESS arranger and MORE workstation? Can I EASILY arrange my own loops without main and fill in buttons etc? What about this cool Yamaha MOXF6 workstation? Is that a good step up for someone like me?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I'm experimenting with a PSR S670. I'm completely lost. I think the capability is there but the LCD display is cumbersome and the implementation is not straightforward at all. Even if I do learn it, I think the keyboard is going to work me to death. So what is the right keyboard for me? will a PSR S770 or S970 fix my problem or do I need something else all together?
If you get lost with psrs670, then the 770 and 970 are more enhanced versions and so you would get even more lost IMO.

Ask a Question