NAMM 2022 Any Word of Korg Replacements?

Reaction score
Well, NAMM 2022 is nearly here. I had to return the Korg Nautilus I bought a while ago as it started to get a few bugs that could not be resolved. I am now back to square one without a keyboard.

I have been looking around for a Korg Kronos 2, but I am not sure if I am making the right choice. I have looked on Sweetwater's website and both the Kronos and the PA4x have been discontinued. The Kronos 2 is getting pretty long in the tooth but I really see no other options out there apart from waiting for NAMM 2022 in the hope that something new will be released... anyone heard whispers of a new Korg?.

The Kronos 2 is a great board but I really don't know how much longer it's going to last.

Reaction score
Teaser for the Pa5X

Kronos is not now on the Korg website, but the Pa4X is along with some old models so probably best to assume it also not available as is the case here in the UK where there are just the odd one still in stock.

Not a lot of talk of new stuff over on the Korg forum site, just resentment that the company is not being forthcoming.

Component shortage is hardly a factor, Roland seem to be selling their new Fantom 0 like hot cakes but zilch from Korg.

Reaction score
The Korg PA5X just looks like a fan-made video, I doubt they will be bringing out a new model. I now have to think if I should just get another Nautilus and hope that I don't encounter a bug or get a Kronos.

I am not a Fantom fan... after trying many workstations the Korg to me is far superior, piano sounds is very important for me and I think Korg has the best along with electric pianos and organs.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
At least take a Fantom for a test drive.

These guys stay in business by stealing each other’s technologies. ;)?

And then improving them. :D

Gary. ;)

Reaction score
Or take a look at a Kurzweil.
I have been thinking about Kurzweil, they are odd in a way, I like a lot about them but their technology seems dated. Not so much the samples but the layout of their boards... No touch screen? not saying that's a deal-breaker, it isn't. Some of the piano sounds sound very good and lots of lush synth sounds.

Reaction score
Speaking of NAAM, I've heard they bumped entry to US$900 and cut a day off the event. Similar to CES in Las Vegas.

Reaction score
I still use a Yamaha s70xs and it sounds musical and great. That said, if you're looking for the latest grooves in the box, I'd suggest borrowing something until we see what's new at NAMM. Problem there (other than the borrowing) is there'll be that delay between the NAMM announcement and the availability in the stores...
The newest offerings aren't necessarily better. I loved Roland, and have a bunch of them, but the newer ones (given the weight for the ones with aftertouch) and my age (don't ask!) have not motivated me to buy one. Montage is amazing, but peculiar, and heavy. I think your Kronos 2 idea may pan out to be the best one, good luck!
PS. for live I've been using a Numa Compact 2x - fine pianos, drawbars, aftertouch, built in speakers, USB audio/midi, and 15 lbs! Some good synths, but definitely not a workstation. IF the Jupiter 80 weighed less, that'd be my everything axe.

Reaction score
I still use a Yamaha s70xs and it sounds musical and great. That said, if you're looking for the latest grooves in the box, I'd suggest borrowing something until we see what's new at NAMM. Problem there (other than the borrowing) is there'll be that delay between the NAMM announcement and the availability in the stores...
The newest offerings aren't necessarily better. I loved Roland, and have a bunch of them, but the newer ones (given the weight for the ones with aftertouch) and my age (don't ask!) have not motivated me to buy one. Montage is amazing, but peculiar, and heavy. I think your Kronos 2 idea may pan out to be the best one, good luck!
PS. for live I've been using a Numa Compact 2x - fine pianos, drawbars, aftertouch, built in speakers, USB audio/midi, and 15 lbs! Some good synths, but definitely not a workstation. IF the Jupiter 80 weighed less, that'd be my everything axe.
Thanks Tommy, after a lot of testing and trying out I really feel that getting a Kronos 2/Nautilus 88 and a Yamaha Montage 7 is the perfect set-up. Or at least it is for me, Weight doesn't bother me as I don't gig. My opinion changed after I took the leap and bought a good pair of monitor speakers. I was using Yamaha HS8s which were good but lean towards a very sterile sound. I upgraded to the Focal Shape 65's and all I can say is WOW! I think that was the most important investment I have ever made.

Reaction score
Excellent!!!! Thanks Chris, and glad you got it right. (I do love my Montage too....it also doesn't move, lol.) I go back to DX-7's when they first came out, but sometimes the learning curve on the Montage is even more involved! (but I get what I'm looking for about 50% of the time; and if I don't, what I end up with is equally excellent.)

Reaction score
I have been thinking about Kurzweil, they are odd in a way, I like a lot about them but their technology seems dated. Not so much the samples but the layout of their boards... No touch screen? not saying that's a deal-breaker, it isn't. Some of the piano sounds sound very good and lots of lush synth sounds.

I'm not sure a touch-screen matters very much most of the time, and if you're playing outdoors, it's just a PIA.

Reaction score
The Kronos 2 is a great board but I really don't know how much longer it's going to last.
I'll be at NAMM this year -- but I have an original Kronos and it's still doing well.
Knock on wood.
It's the hard disk I'm worried about, of course, but I'm far more likely to replace the whole unit than to repair it at this point. We'l see.

Reaction score
I'll be at NAMM this year -- but I have an original Kronos and it's still doing well.
Knock on wood.
It's the hard disk I'm worried about, of course, but I'm far more likely to replace the whole unit than to repair it at this point. We'l see.
Feels like you might be on borrowed time with the Kronos but who knows!.... Hope you enjoy NAMM this year!

Reaction score
Feels like you might be on borrowed time with the Kronos but who knows!.... Hope you enjoy NAMM this year!
Maybe someone can tell me what ARE the options for updating the old beast? In particular, who's the go-to fixit person?

Reaction score
Maybe someone can tell me what ARE the options for updating the old beast? In particular, who's the go-to fixit person?
I don't think that fitix person exists... its like when you have an old iPhone, it gets to the point when it can no longer be updated.

Reaction score
Well, NAMM 2022 is nearly here. I had to return the Korg Nautilus I bought a while ago as it started to get a few bugs that could not be resolved. I am now back to square one without a keyboard.

I have been looking around for a Korg Kronos 2, but I am not sure if I am making the right choice. I have looked on Sweetwater's website and both the Kronos and the PA4x have been discontinued. The Kronos 2 is getting pretty long in the tooth but I really see no other options out there apart from waiting for NAMM 2022 in the hope that something new will be released... anyone heard whispers of a new Korg?.

Reaction score
Wondering if there is another replacement for Korgs Kronos? The answer may already be known. Let’s look at the most recent technology form Korg. MODWave OPsix and wavestate. Of course the software of the hardware. This shows the design language on how Korg views modern synthesis. It would be exciting to break away from the 8 slider panel. Would Korg decide to stuff the HD sample engine or would they do something new. But there lies some of the realistic possibilities that could become the foundation for a worthy Kronos successor.

Ask a Question