Need a 61 key keyboard for gigging out

Reaction score
Anyone ever try M-Audio MIDI keyboards? Need a Keyboard for gigging out.

The only machine I have currently is a Yamaha Motif XS8 which is just too big and heavy to be gigged out.
The decision for me has come down to the following.

Korg X50
Roland Juno Gi
Roland Fantom X6

Either of these machinces can be had for a similar price on eBay with the Fantom being the most expensive.

I like the Korg as it seems to be the most compact of the bunch while it is very functional at the same time. My only complaint is the placement of the pitch wheels.

I'm sure I couldn't go wrong with getting a Fantom, but it is the most expensive of the Bunch.

And I haven't had a Juno since my old Juno Alpha 2, but but I watched some videos on youtube, and it again seems like a capable synthesizer, but the demos I saw make me think it's geared toward hip hop and club music.

The music we play is mostly rock/classic rock which takes your standard analog and sawtooth sounds, organ, strings, and piano.

And Yamaha is not on the list because I already have a Yamaha.

Reaction score
Any of those would do the job rightly. That Peavey is a beast of an amp to move. Heard good things about the Mackie Thump with the 12 inch speaker. £225 here in the UK. Get you down to properly portable.

Good luck.

Reaction score
What about going for a roland JV series. I have a JV1010 and the sounds are really credible ... good analogue type synths and piano OK ... I have a yamaha MO8 and it is a beast to lug around .... but you do get a nice board to play on once you setup ... I guess a 76 key would be ideal ... tried recently a RS9 and thought it was good ... not proper weighted keys like the yamaha though.

Reaction score
Iain - don't know how I missed your last post.

My backup rig - a JV1010 and a Roland A-33. 76 notes - very nice hybrid action, easy for organ/synth or piano.
It's lightweight, runs on AA batteries if you need it to.

You've got the JV1010 already. Just get a controller.

Someone had an A33 near us on Gumtree Dundee a few weeks back.

**********************************************************************************
OOPS - Apologies Iain and the OP. Iain I thought it was you looking for a lightweight setup. Only just noticed you're not the OP.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys.

I was looking around and I was thinking of buying an M-Audio 61es MIDI controller and a Roland Fantom XR (rack mount). I understand the M-Audio has semi-weighted keys which is a plus over non-weighted.
The thing is that I've never used a MIDI remote controller, nor a rack mount synth. Would this be ideal for gigging out.

It seems that a Roland Fantom XR could be had on ebay for about $600, and I have $100 worth of Amazon gift cards so I could theoretically get the keybaord for $50 by the time it's all said and done which is dirt cheap if it's all what it's cracked up to be.

I'm mostly concerned with the feel and durability, I understand that it's only $150, so I shouldn't expect too much.

Link to Products: http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Keyst...0GF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307519067&sr=8-1

Reaction score
They quip "once you rack you won't go back"

I don't think they mean a small portable fast to set-up rig. It's from the days when we dragged around loads of keyboards to cover what we needed.

For ease of use I think your original three options were good.

Is transport an issue - or stairs? That Motif is a great keyboard.

Reaction score
Transport is an issue. It weighs a ton and barely fits in the car, plus I value it very very much. So I don't like the idea of having my keyboard exposed to smokey rooms and such, plus some places don't give you alot of room on stage, and the Motif XS8 is just a freaking beast. That and being hauled around just takes it's toll on things so I'd rather just get something functional, lightweight, and easy to manage.
The one thing M audio is that it doesn't seem to have any kind of a keypad or anything to change voice remotely. For that I'd have to get the Axiom model that
s $500, which is not far off of the price of a fully functionall keyboard so that's just out of the question.

But I have been looking at Demos of the Roland Juno Gi and that seems like a very capable machine for the price. That and I do prefer Roland's Pitch benders over Korg or Yamaha.

Reaction score
Smokey rooms? Where are you gigging? Is your ban not in years ago?

Go for the Roland if you're ok with their pitch bend (I like it too). It sounds great.

Reaction score
^The ban varies from state to state. In Pennsylvania, the ban does not apply to bars, or private clubs like Moose Lodge, Fraternal Order of Eagles, etc.

Reaction score
^The ban varies from state to state. In Pennsylvania, the ban does not apply to bars, or private clubs like Moose Lodge, Fraternal Order of Eagles, etc.

Ouch. I forget your states are as big as our countries with their own regional stuff.

Yes the Yamaha is a bit of a beast. Are you going for the Roland?

What's the second hand market like where you are?

Reaction score
Most likely. I'm gonna take a trip to a music shop in York PA who has a Juno Gi on display. I just want to get the feel of the key action, and see if it has enough bells and whistles to satisfy me.

Reaction score
Well I decided to take off work early and visit a local Guitar Center, and I had an opportunity to try out several keyboards.

The Roland Juno Gi is a very nice keyboard for the price. It's piano, and synth sounds are great, the ui was very nicely layed out, and it was very easy to set up. It was however lacking in some acoustic sounds. Particulary the solo strings (Violin, Viola, Cello etc). The voila sounded really cheesy which really blew my mind considering how great the ensembles sounded. This ordinarily wouldn't be enough to change my mind, but I have a few song that take a solo Viola, I could just use a small ensemble which is how it was originally, but I think it sounds alot better with the viola.
viola demo
Here is a brief demo of one our songs, I intentionally mixed the viola high for this clip just so it could be heard better.

I also tried a Korg M5088 (61 key model wasn't connected), and I have to say that I was rather impressed with the sounds. It's acoustic sounds sound very good, but the solo strings still aren't as good as my Motif, but still good none the less. I wasn't too crazy about the interface, the touchscreen is somewhat unresponsive and seems more like a gimmick than a notable feature. But is still a great machine for the price.

And then I got to try a Roland Fantom G8/G6 since the X series has been discontinued. And it is definetly a very capable machine. I love the synth sounds. They all sound great right out of the box, and even the mini moog patches were done very well. The interface is also very nice and user friendly. It's very easy to layer patches. I think the acoustic sounds are definitely comparable to the Motifs, but not quite as good in some areas, but still much better than anything else I tried on the floor.

And then there was the Yamaha XF8 which didn't seem like it had much to offer over my XS8 except for being black, and therefore looking cooler lol.

All in all I wonder how much different the Fantom X series is as opposed to the G series. I could have a used Roland Fantom X6 for a little over $1000 U.S. which doesn't cost much more than a new G.I., and because it's getting gigged out, buying used really isn't a bad idea IMO. I suppose I could get a Fantom G in a couple months if I lived off of Ramen noodels until then lol.

Ask a Question