Need a Keyboard Recommendation

Reaction score
Hi, first day, first time post here. I'm a guitarist, pastor, worship leader, looking for a keyboard recommendation for church. We're guitar driven, very contemporary, full band type of thing.

We currently own a complicated Roland 8 or so years old, 88 weighted keys, heavy as an anchor. It's having a few issues, so we're in the market for something else.

All three gals who play for us have acoustic pianos at home. They don't know much about electronics, but they manage to play this thing.

Here's what I'm looking for: At least 76 keys, as much like piano function as possible. Good piano sound a must, every other sound is secondary. It's got to be easy to operate, not banks and banks of sounds, drums, etc.

We are a portable church, so weight is sort of an issue. The one we have now is over 60 pounds, less would be nice. Not worried about age, an older model is fine. Buying used works for me :)

Does such a beast exist? I hope so, and I hope you keyboard guys and gals can point me in the right direction.

Thanks very much, have a blessed Christmas, Jeff

Reaction score
I thought of Kurzweil right off, because they have such great piano sounds. But I've heard they are overly complicated to operate. I'll have to check this one out.

Thanks for taking time to respond, Jeff

Reaction score
Pastor,

this is basically a stage piano.....i use it all the time and it is not complicated....yes, there synths, are a little complicated....but this one dont have enough buttons to be complicated....it only has 32 sounds....i think 8 of those sounds are piano sounds....this would work good..(as far as non complication is concerned) in a church setting....however, because of the weighted keys it does weigh about 50 LBS

Reaction score
It seems there are a couple of models here, some with semi weighted keys, some with full weighted keys. Also, I see a 76 key model. I don't know if they're the same otherwise. Guess I need to do some more looking. Thanks again.

Reaction score
yes sir....the sp88 is semi weighted....the sp88x is weighted.....as far as the 76 key version....all of the features are the same but i think the 76 key has only semi weighted keys

Reaction score
yes sir....the sp88 is semi weighted....the sp88x is weighted.....as far as the 76 key version....all of the features are the same but i think the 76 key has only semi weighted keys

yup... that's it. As I know, there is no keyboard with 76 fully-weighted keys.
That's reserved for 88 keys versions

Reaction score
Pastor Jeff, my wife and I have been doing alot of PM for the last 8 years, been lugging an 80lb'er around, with 76 keys. I've been looking at the new keyboards and 76 keys is kind of stuck at a place where they are too expensive, and no weighted keyboard for the price, which has led me to 88 keys. The ladies will thank you for getting a more realistic "full" piano type keyboard, especially if they play acoustic alot, plus as you probably have notice there are way more options in the "88" keyboard selections. The lady who plays in our church has a sp88x to play on, and does layers with strings that sounds awesome for P&W music, the voicing is nice...btw...we are guitar (over) driven too and our pastor loves it! On the Rock!!

Reaction score
This is the kind of info I''m looking for. I was hoping 76 keys would lessen the weight enough to make purchasing it worthwhile.

The #1 issue is ease of use. Case in point. We've been using a Korg X50 lately, that belongs to one of our members. 61 keys, light weight, great piano sound. Key touch is like a toy, but they're willing to live with that. You need to have a degree as far as the ladies are concerned to operate. They are not tech oriented, neither am I for that matter!

We sponsor another church a few miles away. Their pastor/worship leader uses a Triton Extreme. It sounds awesome, but our ladies hate it, too hard to operate.

So far I can only find one dealer in our area for Kurzweils, so hopefully they've have a unit we can try out.

Thanks again, great info, Jeff

Reaction score
Pastor Jeff, have you looked at the Korg TR76 yet? Its a Triton type sound, but an intermediate keyboard (cheaper), easier to use and only 20 lbs...might be worth a look.

Reaction score
This is the kind of info I''m looking for. I was hoping 76 keys would lessen the weight enough to make purchasing it worthwhile.

The #1 issue is ease of use. Case in point. We've been using a Korg X50 lately, that belongs to one of our members. 61 keys, light weight, great piano sound. Key touch is like a toy, but they're willing to live with that. You need to have a degree as far as the ladies are concerned to operate. They are not tech oriented, neither am I for that matter!

We sponsor another church a few miles away. Their pastor/worship leader uses a Triton Extreme. It sounds awesome, but our ladies hate it, too hard to operate.

So far I can only find one dealer in our area for Kurzweils, so hopefully they've have a unit we can try out.

Thanks again, great info, Jeff

Korg TR has the same menu and pretty much same sounds as the X50.

The X50 is a "crippled" version of the TR just like TR is a baby triton.
But they all have same ROM samples (but TR has better, and bigger samples).

P.S. You are one of the rare people who say Korg has a great piano sound :)

Reaction score
Reading about the TR 76 and looking at a picture tells me it's too complicated for us. I do thank you for taking the time to respond.

I looked a Roland stage piano last week at GC. It was as simple as anything I've seen, push the button for the sound you want. I just went on line to look up what it was. It's the FP-4, $1,299.00 if I remember correctly. Weighs in at 33 or 34 pounds.

Can anyone tell me about this unit? Thanks.

Reaction score
Korg with Great Piano sound

The Triton Extreme, IMO has a great piano sound. I like it better than what I've heard come out of a top of the line Roland.

I've learned enough from being around keyboard people that they're just like guitar players when it comes to specific brands.

I like Taylor acoustics, prefer them to Larivee, Breedlove, and especially the muddy Martins. I have firends who swear by each of the other brands mentioned.

I've not had the opportunity to compare all or even most of the top digital piano sounds.

And the beat goes on!

Reaction score
the main problem with korg's piano is that it doesn't sound the same on all octaves.

In the middle it's OK, on low octaves it becomes "blurry", and on high ocraves
it sounds more like a bell of some sort. :D

Reaction score
That wouldn't effect us, considering where our players usually place their hands. In the 17 years that I've served here we've never had anyone play from one end of the piano to the other. I've seen it done, but not here.

Thanks for that observation, I appreciate it, Jeff

Reaction score
That wouldn't effect us, considering where our players usually place their hands. In the 17 years that I've served here we've never had anyone play from one end of the piano to the other. I've seen it done, but not here.

Thanks for that observation, I appreciate it, Jeff

It's good when you know what are you looking for. That way you'll find
what you need in a very short while.

Most of the people want to buy a "keyboard" and have no idea what they want, what kind of music to play, what "keyboard feel" do they really expect,
what sound quality etc etc...

So based on that, I don't believe you'll have any problems! Gratz :)

Reaction score
Pastor,
I would highly suggest checking out the yamaha cp-33. It is full 88 weighted keys and is about $1200 US new. The key action is much more realistic than any of the roland stage pianos. There are about 12 sounds on it, and it takes one button press to change the sounds. It sounds better than any thing in its price range. I just bought one a few months ago and now I swear by its awesomeness. It is very light compared to many other stage pianos (except maybe a roland rd300sx).

Ask a Question