Need advice on buying a keyboard/synth

Reaction score
Basically, I'm new to the whole world of keyboard and synth. I've been an active member on my church's worship team, both as a bassist and guitarist. But now, I feel called to venture into the realm of piano playing. We have a Yamaha piano in the church that I have been practicing on, learning how to change the upper and lower voices, layering another sound on top of it, etc. However, I'm just not getting the sounds that I would like to have. Not even relatively close. So I'm asking for some suggestions. I want to be able to do a variety of things, from a great grand piano sound, to doing strings and others sounds. I'm wanting to emulate (as much as possible within my budget) the sounds of Hillsong United, Kari Jobe, and Needtobreathe. I'm trying to stay relatively low in price, being that I'm just beginning to play (around three months of playing). I'm looking to spend around $500. No more than $700 though. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
hello jordan,

first of anyone who likes need to breathe is a friend of mine! lol but you should know that they really just use a piano and organ (i believe a B3 and the piano is just an upright i dont believe anything special.) Hillsong uses a S90 which also controls the plugins (via Mainstage) and usually have either a triton or a nord stacked on top of that. Kari Jobe's keyboardist (i dont think there is one set person but i believe her band is constantly changing) usually just plays a piano sound (i believe on her most recent tour it was that new roland v piano).

for this i would suggest finding a used s90. if your patient you can usually find one on ebay within your price range.Also as you expand your keyboard rig you can eventually get into some software and eventually ad another board if you want to in the future. (its worth noting that a korg triton perfectly compliments a yamaha, especially for worship music)

Hope this helps you!

Reaction score
Preowned is probably the path

Hi Jordan,

A used S90, or perhaps Roland RD700 would be a good place to start. Based on what you 're looking for, it will be hard to find something brand new within your budget.

To keep things simple, I would not go with a Mac/PC/MIDI keyboard controller combo. Too many tech details to worry about when you're just starting out.

Ask a Question