Need an analog stereo volume pedal that fades smoothly (exponential rather than logarithmic)

Reaction score
I have an ancient JX-8P that controls a JV-1010, which runs into a Boss RT-20 Rotary Speaker simulator, and then into a Boss FV-50 stereo volume pedal. But the volume pedal isn't all that useful, as it seems to be either all or nothing, with limited pedal travel killing the output too quickly. I have alternative pedals (an Ibanez VL-10, Korg KVP-001) and they're no better. For recording, it's not cutting it.

This is OLD gear; neither the JX-8P nor JV-1010 have expression pedal inputs. So I'm stuck using an analog volume pedal.

Does anybody have recommendations (other than buying new keyboards or modules!) that would hep me?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You could always crack open the pedal and research the dimensions and specifications of the pot inside and replace it with a suitable one.

Other than that, it is what it is.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, I think you mean Linear rather than Exponential. Logarithmic pots ARE Exponential in response.

Usually audio circuits use Audio Taper Pots rather than Linear though, for precisely the reasons you outlined.

Do your homework before you order any parts. ;)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
I started playing in the late sixties and I didn't know that a volume pedal could have a smooth, linear response. I second Gary's thoughts. As another option, if you're in the USA ,I might suggest that you talk to one of the sales engineers at Sweetwater and see what pedal might be out there. Good luck, Don Aka B3maniac

Reaction score
The JX8P is midi capable. Midi Solutions makes a footswitch controller that connects via MIDI. Connect an expression pedal to the midi solutions box then connect the box to the JX8P via MIDI. Boom, Bob's your uncle (that's an expression, look its meaning up). Look for a used one since they are pretty indestructible. The box can be programmed to do a variety of things, including sending volume (aka cc#7) or expression (cc#11). This also allows you to control the box with an expression pedal rather than with an analog volume pedal and use the expression pedal device to either send expression or volume depending on your need by configuring the MIDI solutions box.

Last edited:
Reaction score
One of these might help.

I think one is linear and another is logarithmic. I just don't know which is which, cuz L could mean both.

Reaction score
An organ player needs an expression pedal with a long throw, meaning toe up to down travel needs to be long so that true expression can actually be expressed. The pedal you are recommending is known as a short throw pedal, i.e. the distance between toe up to toe down is about 2 inches. You can't effectively play organ with a pedal with a short throw. That is why a pedal like a Yamaha FC-7 is desirable because of its long throw. Note the travel distance between up and down:

1608665417227.png

I use a Roland EV-7, it has a similar long throw as the Yamaha. The EV-7 is no longer made, they replaced it with the EV-5 model which is similar to the short throw that is shown. Look for a used EV-7, built like a tank. I purchased mine used when I bought it 7 years ago and it still works flawlessly.

Here's a used one, rare to find them:

Last edited:

Ask a Question