NEED HELP - Bought a Juno Stage: Have I made the right decision?

Reaction score
So heres the deal:

- Ive bought a JUNO STAGE. (£800 ex demo display usually they are £1000)
- Im just starting out with keyboard lessons at the moment. And want to get in to digital music production a bit further down the line (Cubase etc) so I want decent synth capability.
- I don’t know if I have chosen the best thing for the money. (£800) I still have time to replace it.
- £800 is my top budget.

My concern is: is key weighting. And keyboard quality.

Having read some reviews, many people seem to think the keyboard quality on the JS is cheaper and lighter than some other semi weighted keyboards. Since I am using it to learn on, I am worried that the key action is quite light (sprung) which from what I understand is not so good for learning on. Its also suggested that the synth/sound functionality on the juno stage is a bit outdated too?

Here are my questions:

1) Are there any better keyboards out there that have?

a) a higher quality more weighted feel to them ( but are still semi weighted
b) Better synth/sound function.
c) Same price or less than £800
d) Minimum 61 keys. Preferably 70+​

2) Is the Juno perfectly acceptable to learn on and I should just stop worrying?

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I have one and like it (a lot). £800 may be a little too much (IMO). I paid £1049 when it came out a few years ago. It's now been discontinued. Shops will be looking to shift any they still have lying around. At this point £800-850 may be ok for a "brand new in its box " model - ex demo maybe £700-£750 (or less).

It gets very little love on the keyboard forums I subscribe to and is not a popular or sought after model.

However - feels great, sounds good, easy to dial up a sound and do a split or a layer. Attack and Release, Cutoff and Resonance pots etc... on front panel. It'll be a great keyboard to learn on. Arpeggiator. Will play back mp3s or wavs from a USB memory stick - brilliant for playing along to when learning a new tune. Rhythm loops with easy to adjust tempo dial (or tap tempo). When you get around to recording you can also use it for your mic preamp for your vocals. Just record from the main outs (or L out if you're going in MONO) A cheap PCI sound card for your desktop and you'll be up and running.

Another option - Casio PX3 (piano keys) and look out for something 2nd hand with knobs/sliders for a hardware synth to learn what does what to the sound.

Given what it does and what else is out there - is the Juno Stage worth £800? To me yes - I'd buy it again - but not too many others by what I've read on the forums. For me it's only missing organ drawbars. To get sounds that the general public would notice are better you'd need to go for VSTs (IMO). I have better modelled strings and brass from (Sonivox, East West and Native Instruments). The modelled pianos I have sound great but there's something immediate about the response of the ones in the Juno Stage. I've used it to record on many occasions. The Juno Stage continues to serve me very well as a lightweight giggable, recording (and teaching) keyboard.

Good luck with yours (if you keep it).

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I value all the input,

Thank you very much.

Thank you so much for the advise so far, (minus the noise about IMHO)

NOTE:

- Im not gigging
- I am taking formal lessons.
- I dont need a mobile keybaord. (weight is not an issue.)

Heres what I want

- better quality (heavier) semi weighted key action. (doesnt have to be hammer)
- Synth function as good as the Juno GI
- 70+ keys.

If any one knows of good options that do all that then let me know.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Hey there.

Just to let you know (closure to the story)

I dug deep and really thought about what I wanted. In the end I took back the juno stage.

I went for the Roland RD300GX I got it for £100 more. I think its beautiful, I'm really happy with it. It feels gorgeous to play on/ learn on and has everything I need. For a beginner its more than fantastic.

So for my piano learning needs it worked out really well in the end. I was stressed out trying to work it out though!!

Take care. And thanks.

Ask a Question