need help choosing software for recording elctro/industrial style music?

Reaction score
hello, i want to spend some time recording some electro/industrial stuff and id like to know what the best software is for my needs??

1. as well as keyborads i need something i can record vocals and guitars
2. i cant play drums for shit so it would be usefull if i had something i could create my own drumloops with or at least copy and paste samples
3. it needs to be high quality... ineed to be able to mix my music on it properly (and idealy master)
4. ive heard of software such as ableton and properhead... are these any good for my recording needs as im a lil bit confused about what ableton live actualy is?? would i be able to record proper songs on it with drums, guitar, keys and vocals??

i think thats all for now ta :confused:

Reaction score
try pro tools and reason.

to keep things from getting too expensive try M powered protools.

Abelton is a DAW that was specifically designed for live uses.

Reaction score
You'll need some way of getting audio into and out of your computer. Most of the hardware solutions will be bundled with a cut down LE (light edition) of something like Cubase, Ableton Live maybe even M Powered Pro Tools. Any will do the job - just take time to learn how to record and have a go at cutting and pasting.

Ask at your local music shop or phone up one of the online retailers and have a chat.

KVRaudio is also a good place to post this question. They may suggest Reaper or something like n-Tracks software (both good and I think there are free versions). They can also point you to great free (or inexpensive) VSTs suitable for the genre.

Good luck.

Reaction score
I am not familiar with Pro-Tools are Ableton,but I have Reason 4(midi sequencer & instruments) and I can tell you that R4 is an absolute beast,when it comes to creating loops,patterns & such & the sounds are top shelf,for $300.

As far as recording vocals,guitar & such,you can also buy Reason 4 that is bundled with Reason Record...for about $400(USD).
Important thing to know about Reason Record,is that in terms of virtual instruments,Record only works with Reason 4's sounds(meaning that you cannot include 3rd party sounds in Reason Record).
Also(unlike a traditional DAW),Reason 4 & Reason Record cannot be open at the same time...as you create your drums tracks,synths & so on-in Reason 4,close it out,and then import your work into Reason Record,once you've opened that.

This is absolutely the most economical way to get started & the sound quality is more than sufficient,but if you want the ability to add whatever software instruments you want to choose from,than you may want to start with something like Pro Tools.

I myself,have Presonus Studio One Pro and it's amazingly simple,efficient and the ability to convert you recordings to MP3-right within the program,is fantastic.
Presonus Studio One Pro comes with plenty of sounds to get you started and has all the effects you'll ever need to mix & master vocals & VST's.
In terms of guitar effects,you may eventually want to upgrade to something like Native Instruments Guitar Rig 4,but the included guitar effects are very usable.

Presonus S1 Pro goes for $400(USD)

I've spoke with Cubase users & they actually prefer the ease of use of Presonus and they've said that good sound quality is easy to achieve.

Still though,a musician's end result in recording,is only as good as the level of knowledge he/she possesses....so learn your gear & your software & you'll get the quality you need from just about any software multi-tracker you buy.

I know there is a free version of Reaper,but according to this link at KVRaudio,there are different versions & the price is dependent on number of features/upgrades,I suppose.

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2277.html

Asking for advice at a local music store,tends to be the worst thing to do,as typically,the sales people are minimum wage imbeciles.
Alternatively and much for the better,seeking advice at websites like KVRaudio is one of the BEST and most practical things you could do.

Also,try out the forum at Kara-Moon.com...very friendly & helpful folks there and their level of knowledge in this area is EXTREMELY helpful.

-Elwood

Reaction score
If you're working on a mac platform then I would suggest Logic Express, but if not then I would suggest Fruity Loops.

Reaction score
yeah logic is actaully the best suggestion i think! sorry i assumed that you were a PC cause most people are.

Reason 4 is an amazing piece of software however i dont think that even with reason reocord that it will be exactly what you want. I would suggest getting an Maudio fastrack with M powered protools (probably free with it) then upgrading the reason later.

Reaction score
What are you talking about??No one here knows whether or not he has a Mac or a PC,as he has yet to reply to our responses.

Also,M-Audio FastTracks are garbage....very weak gain,as I have my monitors cranked to half volume,to compensate for the lack of gain.
If that isn't bad enough,the audio outputs stopped working & I am using the headphone jack now.
For the same price,the Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 is a great choice(I have this one also,on my other PC).
The Presonus AudioBox USB is a well reviewed interface & it's $50 cheaper.

-Elwood

Reaction score
I've had the M-audio fast track ultra for over a year now and I've had no problems at all with it. And thats with using it as an i/o from my macbook for live shows. Never had a problem with gain levels either.

Reaction score
What are you talking about??No one here knows whether or not he has a Mac or a PC,as he has yet to reply to our responses.

Ryan - speed this up - do you have a computer yet? If so what have you got - and better post the spec if it's more than a few years old (processor speed, RAM, Operating System).

These guys are keen to help and give you a few pointers.

Reaction score
Ryan - I've gotta go out and I want to put my tuppence worth in here so I'm going to post now before you respond.

If you've got a friend that records to computer already - get what they have so they can help you get started (if you can afford it).

So far (in this thread) - the Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 package (recommended by ElmwoodBlues1969) would be my choice if you have the cash. There's a lot of good software that comes with it for sounds (appropriate to the genres you mentioned), for recording guitars - and a perfectly adequate version of Cubase. Cubase will run Rex files for your drums/percussion and if you have them lined up and change the tempo - they will do the same. It will all run on Mac or PC.

If your budget is really tight and you have a desktop PC - get an M-Audio PCI card second hand from EBay and download the drivers. The 2496 Audiophile is great, mature drivers, runs just about everything. Go for Reaper or n-Tracks and see if you can record something and cut/paste it.

Do you know anything about VSTs?

You'll need a mic (and probably a mic preamp). Do you have either of these?

Reaction score
Elmwood.... i never said he was. i mearly said that i didnt even take it into consideration when i wrote my first post.

The M-Audio fast track series are not garbage.

:)

Reaction score
The FastTrack-in my opinion,is garbage.I have to turn the gain knobs up to 75%,to get the workable volume I need to record & mix my music,where as with my NI Audio Kontrol 1,I only have to turn the gain knob up to 30%,for the same result(& no,my studio monitors are not weak in their gain levels).

I have both of these audio interfaces,so I'm flat out telling you as a fact,the Fast Track has gain issues and there are better audio interfaces out there for less money than the Fast Track,such as the Presonus Audio Box-which to me,makes the Fast Track a piece of sh*t.

If the Fast Track Pro was say,only a $100,than I would have nothing negative to say about it.
If you think so highly of the Fast Track-that's fine,but I am voicing my opinion about the Fast Track,in the interest of saving folks on a budget,some green, & sparing them the headaches I am going through with it.

If you had $200 dollars to spend-what would you buy?...a NI Audio Kontrol 1,or a M-Audio Fast Track Pro that has half the volume?

-Elwood

Ask a Question