Need help figuring out a live setup!

Reaction score
Hey all,

New to the forums, and I'm enjoying it a lot. I've been playing classical piano for many years, but have recently been more drawn towards the rock organ/keyboard sound, mainly like that of the Grateful Dead keyboardists or Richard Wright.

At the moment I've just got a Casio digital piano that I use as a midi controller through my computer to get all sorts of different sounds when I'm playing by myself or in a small group setting. However, I want to start building a live setup that allows me to be more versatile and to have all the different sounds I need, especially organ sounds, that are easily accessible. I'm also interested in having multiple keyboards on stage so that I can do the whole electric piano left hand and organ right hand like Ray Manzarek. The problem is I know next to nothing about how to go about doing this, and what types of keyboards/amplifiers I would need. I've been playing guitar in bands for a long time and comparatively that seems so simple. If anyone could point me in the direction I need to go in to figure out how to construct a live setup that could achieve a Pink Floyd/ Grateful Dead/ Doors sound that would be awesome!

Thanks a lot,
Zack

The Y_man

Reaction score
Conceptually similar to hooking up several guitars - except you can generally get away with DI'ing into the main mixing console. Depends on the size too - if you need your own fold back etc....

The Y-man

Reaction score
In bands like thhose they used to play with hammond organs and that Stuff, bit everybody knows that they are not Cheap, and they are not practical too.
By my side, i'd recommend a 88 key workstation with a footswitch, and split zones so u can do it all in the same keyboard, allowing You to Get a good one, in sted of many not-so-good-keyboards.
Good luck
KristianB

Reaction score
Which model is your Casio piano and what VSTs are you running?

The Casio is a privia px-130, and for synth stuff I use native instruments' absynth 4.
First I'd like to say I'm a college student on a very tight budget, probably between $400-$600, so I can't just go out and pick up a nice kurzweil. I've been looking at the reviews for the casio xw-p1, and that looks nice.

Reaction score
Shame you can't pickup a PC361 since it is designed to be a great 'retro' k/b. You can buy a b-stock for under a grand. I've played in several dead bands and have played alot of pink floyd and doors music. The PC3 just kills for those emulations (b3,ep,cp70,vox,piano,wurli). It would be the only k/b you'd need. With a GOOD set of headphones or speakers listen to this:

Look on ebay they are being blown out for a grand since the new pc3k's are the newest line.

Reaction score
Shame you can't pickup a PC361 since it is designed to be a great 'retro' k/b. You can buy a b-stock for under a grand. I've played in several dead bands and have played alot of pink floyd and doors music. The PC3 just kills for those emulations (b3,ep,cp70,vox,piano,wurli). It would be the only k/b you'd need. With a GOOD set of headphones or speakers listen to this:

Look on ebay they are being blown out for a grand since the new pc3k's are the newest line.
that thing looks pretty amazing... wish i had enough money to get something like that! oh well, maybe if my band makes it big ;)

Ask a Question