Need help getting a good Learner keyboard.

Reaction score
This is a Keyboard that I want to get my wife as a gift as she always told me she wanted to keep learning how to play the keyboard.

Now, I know that she wants a keyboard as apposed to a Piano. (we dont really have room for a Piano anyway). I was looking more into the Yamaha quality level. (I have done a little research and find that Casio is not worth it). I would like to have something with an educational type function i.e. Yamaha Education Suite™ (Y.E.S.).

I am REALLY hoping someone knows more about what I am looking for than I am :confused:. Really, I guess I would just like to get my Wife a keyboard that is user-friendly, fun to use and a way for her to learn a little about playing melodies. Also, I would love it to have PC access. I here MIDI is whats its considered? Please help. Really appreciate it.

P.s. I would like to keep it in the $300-$350 range. 61 key minimum.

Nando

Reaction score
Perhaps this? http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Keystation61es-main.html

Plug and play with a computer, compatible with educational software, and 61 semi weighted keys - a suggestion even though it's under $300. You could also go for one of those "lighted keys"-keyboards, although they seem too basic to me.

You could go for one the keyboards in the Yamaha DGX-series, like this one: http://www.jr.com/yamaha/pe/YAM_DGX220/
You may be better off with the DGX 220 than the M-audio, I've seen a lot of positive feedback on the DGX220, and it fits your budget!

Oh, yeah, welcome to the forum!

<<Gratwhol>>

Reaction score
Thanks man. I was not even aware of this keyboard. I was looking at the PRS-E403 I beleive it was. But the one you suggested seems like a learning tool and then some. Have you heard anything about the PSR-E403?

Reaction score
The DGX-220 got 76 semiweigthed keys, and I seriously doubt the PSR got that. Oh, and the first one I posted; it's only a midi controller, don't go for it, unless you only need a controller and not a "real" keyboard. Personally I'd go for the DGX-220. It'll be great of you want to take the playing further than the learning stage.

<<Gratwhol>>

Reaction score
I agree with Gratwhol. Low end PSR series are really basic stuff. And even high-end PSRs have plasticky keys. If that's your price range, then go for the DGX line.

Reaction score
Beginner Keyboard

I have only been learning/playing on and off for 2yrs.
The MOTIF has awsome organ sounds and piano patches, go with 88 keys.
The KURZWEIL synths are some of the best piano patches & strings.
You either pay the good money and get what you want or pay later by selling & upgrading! Try looking at the the KORGS, FANTOMS also.
I have 3 keyboards. The very 1st one i bought is a KORG Triton Extreme 88key
I also own a prophet 8 Dave Smith Instruments and i just took delivery of ROLAND V-Synth GT as an Xmas gift to myself still factory sealed in the box.
Goodluck!!!!
PS let us know what your purchase decision is.

Reaction score
+1 on the MOTIF. I recently bought a Motif Rack (the original, not ES or XS) and MAN does it ever sound good. The rack is cheaper than the keyboard, and if you don't need sequencing or samping, worth it IMO. Another thing is if you buy a Motif or Motif ES used, they're much cheaper. The original Motif Rack I saw on Ebay for $600 (a new motif XS is $1300). Couple that with an m-audio (or something in a similar price range) and you can get a great-sounding keyboard for $800.

I realize this is outside of the OP's budget, this is more for informing anyone that might be interested that the Motif sounds are SWEEEET if you want good organs, rhodes, wurlitzer, clavinet, and a lot of good synth lead, synth bass, and synth pads. Strings and brass not so hot (everything has a downside) but best bang-for-your-buck sound module.

Don't have experience with Korg or Roland Fantom.

Reaction score
I found the strings and brass on the Motif ES (well, the MO6/MO8, which is the same sound engine with less other features) to be better than Korg, and Korg to be better when it comes to synths, leads, and pads. Still, depending on your needs, the Motif is a great choice.

Reaction score
I found the strings coming out of the M3/M50 engine to be as good or better than what you get from the Motif engines. (Good string voices were hight on my list when I was hunting for a keyboard.) However, as with every keyboard, you often have to try all the available voices for a given instrument (violin, etc.) to find the voice is the best match for what you are trying to achieve, and then maybe do a little tweaking from there.

Reaction score
i know that casio has a line of keyboards that have some sorta lights behind the keys, and they light up and stuff to show you how to play, my little cousin got one, and he likes it.

Ask a Question