Need help, I'm confused!

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for reading this!

So here is what I currently have:
-A 88 key midi controller keyboard that is purely a controller, with no sound coming out. I use this at home to record midi at my DAW.
-A crappy Yamaha PRS-35 or something, a cheap low-end keyboard that's basically almost a toy, which I use live with my band currently.

My question is this: I need to have some type of stage-piano/keyboard/something/anything at all! that will get me a good piano sound when I'm playing live. I only need it for 1 song, but it's a piano ballad-ish song with only piano and vocals so the piano needs to sound good. What should I buy? I'm looking to spend as little as possible. (200-300€)

Here's the options that I have as far as I can tell:

-Use my 88 key midi keyboard live through a laptop and something like Pianoteq or some sort of VST, then output the laptop to an usb soundcard, then output that to the PA. (Don't want to do this cause it seems unneccessarily complicated and silly. I'd need to drag a desk with me to put all that stuff on. Also I'm afraid of usb delay.) (This would be free since I already have everything needed for this method.)

-Buy a stage piano. These are quite expensive and in this case I'm wondering which one I should buy. I'm looking for an acceptable piano sound, not amazing or perfect but just good enough for people to not think 'wow that sounds like crap', since I'm only using it for 1 song. Preferrably something like a Roland/Yamaha/Korg and not some weird made-in-China brand.

-Buy some type of midi/synth/keyboard thing, like a cheap version of a Korg Kronos, where I can program the samples into it myself, which is really not what I need cause I just need the piano sound

-Buy a sound module and control it with my midi controller keyboard. As far as I can tell this is a very outdated and overpriced method of achieving what I want.

So I would really appreciate some advice here! I've looked all over the internet but there are so many options and it's a bit confusing and overwhelming. If I should buy something, my maximum budget is preferrably around €200-€300 and I will probably be buying a second hand stage piano/keyboard/thing to save some moneyz.
I'd love to be able to combine my midi keyboard with some sort of sound-producing-device to create a good piano sound if possible, but I don't mind spending money on a low-end-but-quality stage piano either.
I definitely can't show up with my toy Yamaha 'Entertainment Station' between people with 50-part professional expensive keyboard rigs!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advice! So do you run this Controller -> Module -> PA? Or is there a laptop or some sort of software required also? And can you layer sounds with these? Like piano+strings.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Assuming your controller has A MIDI OUT port just connect it to a standard MIDI cable to the MIDI IN port on the Ketron and connect the audio out on the Ketron to your PA and you should be good to do.

Dunno if it's capable of splits and layers but that should be in the documentation on the manufacturer's website.

It is capable of 32 part multitimbral though.

Reaction score
Ok thanks so much! I wouldn't have found it on my own but it looks and sounds awesome from what I've seen, exactly what I needed! Cheers :)

Ask a Question