need help regarding midi recording & playing

Reaction score
hi,
i am a beginner in keyboard playing and also a new member of this community. i am facing a problem in playing & recording of midi files. i have yamaha psr 550b. i recorded one song played by me on the keyboard. then i attached a pen drive to usb port of keyboard & tranferred it. but when i'm playing it on my computer on windows media player it was awful. but it was very good to hear through keyboard speakers! i have a very good harman kardon 2.1 audio system connected to my desktop. i want to know how can i record songs which will be just like sounds coming through keyboard? i converted it to mp3 . result was horrible. then i transferred the midi file to my mobile. mobile was playing it better, but nowhere closer to keyboard. my english is crap. so please bear with me. many many thanks in advance.
regards,
sidhu

Reaction score
It is impossible for a MIDI to sound good on a different device, like Computer, Cellphone.
You know why? Because the MIDI file only contains data such as the notes you played, not the SOUND. The sound is "borrowed" from the device.
It will sound good only on your keyboard. You need to record audio from your keyboard with a cable to your headphones out on your computer connected to Line In on your computer soundcard.

Reaction score
many many thanks Vctor. i didn't know the basics. now i have to search for right cable to connect the keyboard to my desktop. in another section i have posted a midi file. then it will be very painful to hear to others. thanks again.

Reaction score
You will need a jack to mini jack cable to record audio, like this:
Jack%20to%20mini%20jack.gif

Reaction score
many many thanks to both of you. exactly i need this cable. i called up yamaha showroom. but they didn't have it. so ihave to go for cable hunting.

Reaction score
i just want to know one more thing. when i will plug in the jack to my keyboard's headphone socket, keyboardspeakers will be muted. from where sound will come? through my desktop speakers?

Reaction score
Yes, on your computer audio system. Then you will need a software to record the audio. The simplest software is sound recorder that comes with windows, but it records only aprox. 1 minute. Good enough for testing.

Reaction score
Sindu, I have send you the info file.
A cable you will find in any computer-, sound- or even a big supermarket like Tescos.

sorry, i was out of the town, so couldn't reply.many many thanks to both of you. I called up the yamaha store. They didn't have the complete cable. They could only supply me the cable. I have to buy the jack from elsewhere & solder them at some electronics shop. We do not have tescos here. Probably i can buy it online ebay or somewhere else. When i will finish my recording, i will let you know. Thank you again.
Regards

Ask a Question