Need help with first keyboard purchase.

Reaction score
Looking a keyboard. I don't know much about them... but this is what I would like to accomplish.

1)Primarily Plan to use on stage for minor keys work.. ether pads or Grand piano. A few of the song we play have a piano intro, I would play the part then go back to guitar. It won't get allot of use on stage but this is the primary purpose. So the Grand needs to sound pretty good and the pads need to sound good. I don't think I need a ton of sounds.. but I do want a nice grand sound. I'll be playing mostly guitar so..

2) use with pro tools -to lay down bass lines, etc. will use the included virtual instruments

3) use in personal guitar practice time as practice aid, help with chord finding etc.

4)use a piano for fun at home.

new or used. I don't want to cheap out... but I don't want to spend more than I need to. I'd like to keep to $750 max. Around $500 would be ideal.

Suggestions?

Reaction score
Hmm, exactly the same as what i'm searching for too! guitarist in a band doing some keys stuff.

Anyway, I'm still researching but you might need more than just a keyboard and a lead into the mixer. We've tried that and its just not loud enough so you will need to throw at least a DI box or maybe a keyboard amp on there.

Don't know if you've ever used the sounds on a keyboard but usually the bass doesn't sound like a bass, its too uniform and you don't get the little... notches? while playing.. like what livens it up a little its just boring :)

One thing I would suggest though is get weighted keys. I've only been playing on any form of keys for about 3 months, I can already tell that when I play on weighted keys I love it, when I play the crappy plastic keys I hate it.

Hope they steer you in the right direction, I'l let you know if I find anything else of use to either of us :)

Ask a Question