Need help with sending midi back to DGX-640 speakers

Reaction score
Hello
I am new to this forum - a home pianist that is returning to the piano from years ago. I just bought a Yamaha DGX-640. I have a number of sequencers (ivory, Truepianos, Kontakt and have been trying to get the midi signal in the sequencing program (triggered by the Yamaha keyboard to output back into the DGX speakers. Does anyone know if this is possible?
I am using a standard usb to host cable that correctly mates with the back of the 640 and the usb port of my computer. I can set the 640 to PC2 and use the 640 keyboard to play the Kontakt sequencer (or any other virtual sequencer like Ivory) with sound coming from my computer audio device. I am trying to use the 640 keyboard to play the midi notes through the Kontakt instrument (or any of my virtual sequencers) and have that instrument sound (midi signal) come back through the portable grand onboard speakers. And I am unsuccessful no matter what I do. If I hit the software virtual keyboard virtual piano on my computer with my mouse, the sound comes back through the 640 speakers. But I can't use the yamaha keyboard to play music send a midi signal through any virtual sequencer and have that mdi signal come back into the 640 and output through the 640 onboard speakers. In other words, it does not seem like midi information is going to the computer and back. Is this even possible? I assumed that it was since the 640 acts as a midi interface. I have the updated driver installed of course. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

David

The Y_man

Reaction score
Let me just try and clarify this in my own head (sorry I am a bit slow)

Is the basics of what you are asking this?

You are trying to play back a sequenced piece which is on your PC.
AND
You want to hear the voices on the 640 being used to play back the particular piece.

Is that right?

The Y-man

Reaction score
Y_Man
Thank you for your reply. My thought was to use the 640 keyboard to generate a midi signal into my computer software (Ivory, Galaxy, etc.) and have that sequenced midi signal output/reroute in live time to the onboard 640 speakers. Maybe this is impossible and I should be using amplified speakers from the computer audio output jack to capture, let's say the ivory sound, or should I start to explore hardware devices to output the audio signal from the computer with quality speakers like Bose, etc?

The Y_man

Reaction score
I'm probably misinterpreting your needs here, but a MIDI signal does not carry "sound". All it carries is basically which key of the keyboard was pressed, how fast, when it was let go etc.

So when you hit the middle C key of your 640, the signal it sends to the computer is "middel C was pressed, very hard, and let go after 2 seconds" - it doesn't carry any informaiton about the sound.

The computer receives this, and the sequencer is used to record this (the sequencer is like a data recorder of midi events).

If you ask the sequencer to send this information back realtime time to the 640, what the 640 will do is in fact exactly the same as you hitting the middle C without using the MIDI at all - it just tells the 640 to play the middle C key for 2 seconds... using the 640's sound generator to create the "music voice" (piano sound or whatever). Listening to the MIDI signal itself is a bit like listening to a modem or fax machine.

What I think you are asking for is to have the "sound" generated by software on your PC to be heard through the speakers on the DGX-640 - unfortunately "no" to my knowledge, as the 640 doesn't have a "line in" jack on the back (as far as I can tell).

So as you suspected, what you need is infact an amp and speaker combo or kit (depends on how loud you want it) to plug into the headphone socket of your PC.....

The Y-man

Reaction score
Y-man is correct. The audio out put of the virtual instruments you are triggering via midi from your 640 cannot be routed into the internal speakers of the 640.
Don

Ask a Question