Need help with weird fault in all octaves

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestion for me.

I have a Yamaha PSR E303. Today I noticed that the E and A# keys stopped working in ALL octaves. The only way to get the E key to make any sound is to first press the C key and while the C key is pressed, also press the E Key and then release the C key. This is how I can get it to play, but the sound is not very good. It feels like it ignores the touch sensitivity so you get the loud E note.

Same goes for A# key, it only works if you release it after having another key pressed.

Has anyone had this issue before? Is this something that I can repair myself at home?

Thank you!
-------------------------------
EDIT:
I have performed the factory reset according to the manual (run test no 18 - 047 Factory reset) and it didn't help at all.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You could open it up and check the ribbon connectors and CAREFULLY remove and reseat them. Sometimes they oxidize and lose contact. A squirt of contact cleaner might help as well.

Check youtube for examples on how to do this.

WARNING. This violates the warranty so only try it out of warranty.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about violating the warranty, because the PSR-E303 is a very old model so surely the warranty expired several years ago.

Just be careful trying to open it up and clean it yourself. Look for other threads in the forums related to opening up a keyboard (not just Yamaha models) and cleaning the contacts, because I know Gary has given advice about this many times before, and he has mentioned what NOT to use or else you'll damage the internals, but I don't recall the specifics right now.

Ask a Question